Eating popcorn

(8 Posts)
BrienneOfTarth Tue 07-May-13 17:05:59

DS has been having popcorn (home popped, no added flavours) since about 20 months, though I carefully shake the container and only take the top definitely-popped ones for him (I get to eat the stuff at the bottom which contains the denser unpopped or partially popped stuff).

rrreow Tue 07-May-13 16:56:20

Just shake the bag (if microwaving) or pan (if making yourself) so the unpopped kernels settle at the bottom. Then give him a small handful off the top. As long as you avoid giving the unpopped kernels I don't see how it could be a choking hazard as it literally just melts in your mouth.

notso Tue 07-May-13 14:40:37

My 2 youngest are 2 and 1 and love popcorn, I sift through it for unpopped kernels and obviously wouldn't leave them alone eating it.

soapnuts Tue 07-May-13 14:31:41

I stil don't give my nearly 4 year old popcorn - think about one of those unpopped kernels - perfect size and shape to block their airway. I can't find a UK link but here is Baby Centre in the US saying avoid until over 5: www.babycenter.com/0_foods-that-can-be-unsafe-for-your-child_1491465.bc

GingerPCatt Tue 07-May-13 14:24:17

Thanks! He's my pfb so I'm never sure if I'm over protective or not protective enough.

Tee2072 Tue 07-May-13 09:39:21

He'll be fine.

age 2 should be fine, I thought you were going to say he was a baby!

GingerPCatt Tue 07-May-13 07:39:50

Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks, but I've heard it's a choking risk for children. When would it be ok to give some to DS? DS is nearly 2 and rarely chokes or gags on food. I know there is always a small risk with choking no matter how old you are. I would love to have some popcorn, but whatever I eat DS wants a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now