Any SALTs about?

(27 Posts)
WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 05-May-13 15:08:46

I'm slightly perplexed about DS's language development.

He is 21.5 months and was initially quite a fast talker (had a few words and animal noises from 11 months). However, he doesn't seem to have learned many new words lately and this is his total vocabulary:

Cheese
Lid
Book
Car
Milk
Daddy
Hello
Nose
Hair
Ear
Eye
Leaf
Trousers
Chick
There
Keys
Hug
And lots of animal sounds including baa, moo, Eyore, twit twoo, tweet tweet, miaow,
quack, woof etc

A lot of these words only DH and I would understand eg ook is book!

The weird thing is that his understanding seems to be much
more advanced than his vocabulary - if I ask him to identify by pointing he can single out all numbers 1-10, about 8 shapes, 10 colours and around half the alphabet.

Should I be doing anything in particular to try to help him learn words, or will it just come naturally with time?

Stangirl Sat 11-May-13 10:07:07

He understands simple instructions, answers to his name etc. The other day his sister was asking for more milk and he went and got his bottle to give to her. He'll touch his nose if we ask him but not any other part of the body.

lljkk Sat 11-May-13 12:40:57

Still sounds within normal to me, Stangirl. Thing is there isn't a lot they do for under 2s other than try to teach you to communicate better (eye contact, clearly euniciating, working on listening skills). Age 2+ they can refer you for SLT who will identify specific weaknesses, but still little actual therapy until age 3-4+.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now