6mo DS raging at stacking cups (?!)

(20 Posts)
YokoUhOh Fri 03-May-13 11:38:38

DS (24 weeks) has some stacking cups, with which he appears utterly furious. He screams and shouts every time I get them out and gets himself into a murderous rage. Can anyone explain why? They're such an innocuous toy to take against!

MiaowTheCat Fri 03-May-13 12:47:27

There's no logic - DD1 has suddenly developed a one-girl mission to rid the world of socks. She'll pull socks off everyone's feet and it's literally a drive-by de-sockking - she doesn't even WANT them to play with or feel or anything.

I've given up trying to master kid logic.

YokoUhOh Fri 03-May-13 13:18:15

Hahaha thanks Miaow, that is bonkers even by DS's standards, he isn't into sock-GTA (yet). How old is DD1?

MiaowTheCat Fri 03-May-13 14:06:00

She's 13 months old and you can literally sit down, she'll crawl by and de-sock you within the blink of an eye.

fififrog Fri 03-May-13 21:12:12

My DD loathed stacking cups til she was about 15 months and suddenly decided they were fun in the paddling pool...

ChasingStaplers Fri 03-May-13 21:17:52

Ha ha that's brilliant!
my Ds1 took a dislike to one of those animal toys that can't get knocked over (a bit like a weeble).
I have video footage of him aged about 6 months getting annoyed with it. He's sitting on the floor with it between his legs and he keeps bending over to headbutt it! It's hilarious. smile

YokoUhOh Fri 03-May-13 21:25:45

fifi interesting, I was thinking about sticking them in the bath instead... chasing he seems to like the weeble thing - horses for courses! It's intense loathing directed at the cups, you'd think I was using them to administer a dose of arsenic.

fififrog Fri 03-May-13 21:34:27

Yeah, DD is 2 now and they were a favourite bath toy for about a month recently. She now ignores them... Ours just languished at the back of the toy box for months. If she'd been humorously cross with them (like with the weeble thing) I might have brought them out every now and then ha ha! As it was she just cried a lot if I tried to build a tower for her. Her friend loved knocking towers over on the other hand...

melonribena Sat 04-May-13 09:54:23

My 9 mth developed a sudden fear of an innocuous looking plant that sits on the window sill! He won't consider sitting or eating anywhere near it! He just looks fearfully at it!

He is happy enough with all other plants, we had a wander round the garden centre yesterday and he happily grabbed at everything in sight!

It's not spiky, it's just a regular plant!

YokoUhOh Mon 06-May-13 19:39:32

melon does your plant have a 'face'? DS screams at/makes friends with anything with a 'face' - the overflow outlet in the bath, door handles, signs. He is destined to be a force of nature... smile

melonribena Mon 06-May-13 20:02:30

I will have a look Yoko! Sounds intriguing!

MiaowTheCat Mon 06-May-13 20:29:00

My MIL was fucking obsessed about stacking cups. She'd whine on and on and on about how DD1 HAD to have them (she does this a lot - decrees DD1 must must must must have a toy she's fixated herself on the idea of DD1 having, never consults with me or asks - just tells me DD1 HAS to have it - fine if it's something bland like stacking cups, but she did the "younger sibling = big sister MUST have a dolly bought for them" thing recently which pisses me off no end as it's not something I wanted to inevitably thrust on DD1 unless she showed an interest in it... but that's another rant).

Went on and on about how hard she was finding to find some, and how DD1 MUST have these cups.

DD1 really has no interest in them - they vanished to the bath toy hammock and get used to rinse her hair with.

YokoUhOh Mon 06-May-13 20:41:16

Miaow I await the MIL-foisting-toys-on-DCs with impatience! I'm already dreading her reaction to DS eating what we eat instead of baby rice hmm She won't leave him alone with his toys in case he swallows one like a snake swallowing a mouse

narmada Mon 06-May-13 22:09:16

DS had a funny thing about anything brightly coloured around this age. Are the cups multi-coloured? Btw, DS completely grew out of it.

Oh this made me chuckle.
First time I got stacking cups out ds loved them... Built a tower... Lots of smiles.
Knocked down tower. Inconsolable bewildered trauma!

YokoUhOh Mon 06-May-13 22:25:49

Hmmm both brightly coloured and knock-downable! I have a feeling it might be the way they all disappear when they slot into each other. Or the fact that he can't chew on them easily confused

mouseymummy Mon 06-May-13 22:40:01

Dd2 (7mo) has suddenly developed an irrational fear of her rain maker... She adored it the day before yesterday hmm

She has a mousey toy that she had taken to screaming at... It' s so funny! She's such a funny character!

Oh then there is the grinding of the teeth... Hate hate hate it! I don't know how to stop it as the only way I've found so far is to stick food in her mouth!

MortifiedAdams Mon 06-May-13 22:47:07

DD is 16mo and picks out a specific book just to rage at it. Its a childrens book of animals (sort of like an encyclopedia), and she turns every page manically til she gets to the back one and then freaks that its finished. We usually end up.taking it off her as she gets herself so wound up.

YokoUhOh Mon 06-May-13 23:12:22

Haha love these stories! Roared at the manic page turning!

Fantail Tue 07-May-13 08:50:08

DD did this with her slippers last winter. It wasn't even her first pair ever and they were the same as the first pair, but there was something clearly terrifying about them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now