When to take sides off the cot bed

(17 Posts)
DubaiLady Thu 02-May-13 07:57:42

My little girl is 2.5 and still sleeps in her cot bed with the sides up,

Its not a problem, she goes to sleep easily on her own every night and its very big so she has more than enough room.

Is it time to take the sides of?

I'm worried she will start playing up and getting out of bed?
I'm also sure she will fall out ( she sleeps across the bed with her head in the corner)

What age did you take the sides off and is it ok for me to leave them on?

iloveweetos Thu 02-May-13 16:18:55

I took my daughters off at around 3 years old. One side of the bed against a wall and on the other i brought a bed rail , which DD seem to have been fine with. Shes 5 now, and still has it on, havent taken it off because she moves around too much lol
trial it and if not, just put sides back on

Longdistance Thu 02-May-13 16:25:11

My dd is 22mo and can climb out of her cot bed. We've tried taking he sides off, but she also as pp sleeps sideways, tosses and turns, and wakes herself up. We had o put the bars back even though we had a bed rail. She wouldn't settle, and this went on for a week.
Back to the drawing board.....

ChazDingle Fri 03-May-13 15:22:47

my ds is 3 in a couple of weeks and i've not taken the sides off yet although i'm thinking we really ought to. He sleeps really well in his cot, he climbed out a couple of times about 6 months ago and i thought thats it but then he didn't do it again.

Jinty64 Fri 03-May-13 16:26:33

I would leave them on. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

1Teaandsomecake Sat 04-May-13 17:45:20

My DD is just about to turn 2 and we took the sides off 3 days ago. So far all is fine. She has a bed guard up and loves being able to get in and out on her own. I was worried that she might be up and running about but so far so good!!
I've read some other threads where people say they settle fine for a couple of weeks and then realise they are free - Eek! I guess they have to learn that sometime and it has to be dealt with.
Good Luck!

BahrainB Sat 04-May-13 19:00:30

I did it when DS1 was over two and a half and had stopped napping everyday .I tried earlier when he escaped the
cot but then he wouldn't stay in bed at lunchtime and turned into more of a monkey . I think with DS2 i'll leave it till 3 and it will be easier.

shoesontheglasslamp Sat 04-May-13 19:50:20

Personally I'm leaving it as long as possible! DS loves it in his cot bed with the sides up, and I love it being one of the remaining places where he stays put... wink

bangersmashandbeans Sat 11-May-13 19:27:48

Leave them up!! I took them off when DD turned two as she was climbing out - four horrendous months followed. Wouldn't go to bed or stay in bed and was just so naughty at bedtime when she had always been amazing. Took us 1-3 hours to get her to sleep each night for nearly 4 month. Leave the sides on!

MortifiedAdams Sat 11-May-13 19:29:03

Tbh they only need to come.off once they are either trying to climb out or night training (potty training).

Makinglists Sat 11-May-13 19:36:58

Leave them up DS1 had his till he was 2.9 and we only took them off because he was climbing. DS2 is now 2.6 and has shown no sign of climbing yet so they are staying put. The only downside I can think of is that its a strain on our backs lifting him up and over but the peace it offers is well worth that!!!

RandomMess Sat 11-May-13 19:38:28

leave them on as long as possible if she's happy why change it?

Bumbolina Sat 11-May-13 19:42:51

We took them off at 18 months.., But that was because she's always hated her cot with a passion, and was in with us so the cot was kind of redundant. She has only got out for a wander once, and usually just shouts "Mummy!!" when she wakes up. It's made a huge difference to her sleep (though that could be the duvet and pillow).

If I didn't have any issues though I wouldn't have done it do early!!

stickchildren3 Sat 11-May-13 19:49:02

My dc3 is 2yr, 9 months. Cot sides up and will be until she tries to climb out. She still insists on wearing a gro-bag (!) so no climbing for now - long may it continue!!

rumbelina Sat 11-May-13 20:15:09

I'll be taking them off age 12

sparkleshine Sun 12-May-13 08:15:44

I took DS off New Year's Day last year when he was 2.1. No specific reason why, just fancied a change and asked around and people said they took the cotsides off around 2 yrs old so I did. ExP took sides off 2months later at his house but that was pure laziness.
He fell out a few times and had a cry but no big deal really and got through all that. He loves his bed but also loves mine and often jumps in randomly it I find him cuddled up in the morning.
You just got to do what's best for you. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

MaMattoo Tue 14-May-13 00:08:34

DS is 2.11 so very nearly three. We took the sides off this weekend, put the baby dan bed rail thing. He is so damn pleased he lies in his 'bed' and reads with his legs crossed 'like papas'.
However he has over the past 3 nights decided to walk out and wander around because he can. And has happily been tucked back in. I guess it will take a while, but it is so nice to be able to cuddle at night and to make the bed. The cot was a pain in the arse to clean and make.
Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now