Scar on toddler

(14 Posts)
BombJack Tue 13-Aug-13 13:19:27

One of mine fell head-first against a coffee table when he was two (the coffee table was down the tip the next day). It caused a nasty cut on the bridge of his nose, and I was frantic about the resulting scar.

Used Mederma cream, and vit E cream on it, but to be honest I don't think they made any difference. Scars can still look bad 6 months later, as it takes a year for a scar in a child to "mature". Now, my DS's scar if barely noticable, only if I look really closely in the right light can I see it.

Think you'll be surprised just how much it will fade in the next 6 months. If it is still a problem years from now, there are new laser treatments coming out that have great results, but I suspect you won't need to worry about it.

Pounamu Tue 13-Aug-13 11:39:43

My DD 3.7yo has loads of scars from having chickenpox at 5 months old. They seem to be fading now so I'm hoping they will just fade away as she grows. Might give Bio oil a try, sounds good

Sara13 Tue 06-Aug-13 00:24:36

Hi my little girl had stitches on Friday last week just wondering how soon to start using the Bio oil on the scar ? The stitches are still in.. Thanks

rrreow Thu 30-May-13 17:25:30

Try bio oil. Another thing that will help is simply time. I remember having a burn on my wrist which took a couple of years to fade. Scars tend to take longer to fade on areas that are close to the bone (e.g. forehead, shins), I guess it has to do with blood flow.

wiesiaraddy Thu 30-May-13 10:10:01

My 10 months old daughter cut her forehead when she fell against the edge of a bed and has a scar that is slowly fading away. It happened 5 months ago and there isn't a day I don't think about it. sad I used bio oil in the evenings and in the mornings rubbed her scar with my own saliva (before you eat and brush your teeth). Something that my mum told me to try. Her mum (my grandma) used saliva as a cure. I know there is no proof that it will help but I was so upset for a long time that I decide to try anything to help reduce the scar tissue. Good luck smile

BackAwayFatty Sun 19-May-13 01:11:53

If you have a Costco near you they sell Bio Oil cheaper than most places.

fififrog Wed 01-May-13 20:02:03

I cut my head open when I was 5 right down the middle of my forehead and had stitches. Sorry to say that 31 years later it is still visible, though it's not a different colour and other people only notice when I frown and even then nobody comments. When I wad a child for many years it went quite red if I was flushed for any reason though. I was quite proud of it though - I used to like people asking me about it!

FarelyKnuts Wed 01-May-13 19:20:31

Seconding (thirding?) using bio oil. Its very good on reducing the appearance of scars.

BeaLola Wed 01-May-13 18:50:06

I have been using solid cocoa butter over my sons scar from stitches - mostly to "smooth it" than anything else & intermittently bio oil. I think it will fade more over time. I have a scar from stitches done as an adult that loooked horrendous for ages but over time you can hardly see it at all. I used bio oil for that as well as a cream.

mummy2benji Tue 30-Apr-13 17:16:57

Bio Oil helps a little with reducing the appearance of scars (I'm a GP). There isn't really anything else on the market that is as good. It's quite pricy but you can buy small bottles and a tiny amount goes a long way.

pcbmc00 Tue 30-Apr-13 12:24:27

So true and she only 3 like you said one day I'll be looking for it and it will be barely there!

NotDead Tue 30-Apr-13 12:06:55

I had a lightbulb filament fall on my shoulder when I was about 4 (I managed to explode the bulb by shooting it with a water pistol!) I was quite proud of the scar it left, but about a year later, I went to show someone at school and it was gone!

I think you will be surprised that one day it is just gone.

Seeline Tue 30-Apr-13 11:46:15

My DS cut his forehead open when he fell against the edge of a cupboard at the age of 2.8. He had to have it glued together. It was quite obvious for a couple of years. He is now 11 and you can only just see a faint silvery line when he gets a tan in the summer. He's actually quite proud of it grin I think they just grow into scars when they happen that young and are not huge.

pcbmc00 Tue 30-Apr-13 11:39:19

Not sure where best place to post this is but looking for advice on how to reduce scar Mark on my toddler forehead. She leaned against something hot it scabbed over but it looks like a big dent in her forehead.
It happened 6 months ago but very noticable especially when she cold or hot it just flares.
Thanks..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now