How tall is your 2 year old?

(66 Posts)
chattychattyboomba Tue 30-Apr-13 10:04:12

DD is 91cm tall (almost 36 inches)
She weighs 15kg. Turned 2 last week.
Everyone she meets comments on her size. She was born 10.4 pound (4.6kg) and has always been in 98th centile.
DH and i are both tall (i'm 5'11 he is 6'2)
I am starting to get really pissed off with people making a big deal of her height. I know they mean it in a 'wow she'll be a supermodel' way but I just feel it is rude to and I worry about her feeling different. I don't go around commenting on how short other people's kids are because i think it has sod all to do with them as a person. angry

I have the opposite-DD is 2.4 and about 78cm (not sure exactly, but under 80cm, anyway). She's still in 12-18 month old clothes.

People seem compelled to point out her tinyness to me, and have done since she was born, like I hadn't noticed. It's got worse since DS2 was born, as he's so big (91st centile, and, at 12 weeks is in clothes she was in at 11 months)

I worry that it will affect the way people treat her as she gets older. I don't want her treated as a fragile, delicate little flower when she's anything but.

Coffee1Sugar Tue 30-Apr-13 17:34:26

Dd 2.11 97cms and 28lbs - can anyone enlighten me as to her centiles? Her red books at my mum's for some reasonhmm

humblebumble Tue 30-Apr-13 17:47:18

My DS's are tall (off the charts), but weight in the 85th - 95th centile. We get so many comments, especially regarding our youngest.

I do have a Mr Tall t-shirt for my youngest and a Mr Bump t-shirt as (along with being very tall, he is also quite accident prone). wink

PoppyWearer Tue 30-Apr-13 17:53:44

I have a dinky DC1 and a tall DC2.

TBH none of the comments have upset me yet, but DC2 isn't 2yo yet. I have been more upset about the comments on DC1's lack of height, TBH.

I'm also amazed at the differences between these two little beings that DH and I have created, from the same gene pool. One on the 9th centile, the other somewhere above 95th.

ChunkyPickle Tue 30-Apr-13 17:59:59

DS is totally average, and people still comment that he's tall - people just need to find something to comment on, and figure that heights better than weight I think.....

You can see the height predictor (and the error bars for it) at the side of the height charts in the red book. The error amounts for it make it laughably inaccurate - DS could be anything from 5'4 to 6'2 if I remember rightly!

AngelsWithSilverWings Tue 30-Apr-13 18:11:25

I understand how you feel as I have a very very tall DS. I was never sensitive about comments about his height but I do remember getting a lot of them!

My DS was 99cm when he was 2 and everyone made comments. He is also adopted so the comments always led to questions about how tall his dad is. I wasn't prepared for these questions as a fairly new adoptive parent and found myself getting all tied up in knots telling total strangers about his adoption.

The other big big problem was other people expecting him to behave like a much older child. I've never forgiven the librarian at our local library telling him off really sharply when he touched a display of books. He was still only one but looked much older. She was really horrible to him.

Also had other parents reminding me that the part of the soft play area we were in was for under threes only , being charged entry for places when he should have been admitted for free, oh and the classic " why is he still in a buggy? "

I often found myself saying " we'll I'm sorry but he is only two you know!"

Sorry I appeared to have joined you in having a rant OP!

Now he is 7 and he hates being the tallest kid in school. ( He was the tallest out of the whole of his infants school when he started in reception! ) He told me that he wishes he could be normal hmm.

chattychattyboomba Tue 30-Apr-13 18:31:39

Thanks for all the responses, just catching up now...

Aww Angels! Poor baby sad
It's awful feeling different as a kid it really is. Especially if you are not a particularly confident child. I love my height now (except that i look like a bloody amazon in high heals!! Lol) but when i gained over 10kg after having DD you couldn't really tell. That is to say you can't tell (still haven't lost it! blush)
Also i was able to do a bit of modelling as a teen which i really did enjoy- but those awkward years- you know the ones where your teeth are too big for your mouth and you're all knobbly knees and gangly arms? They really sucked! Especially when your ballet teacher tells you that you are too tall to be a ballerina, your aunt asks you to 'babysit' your cousin who is 10...and you are only 11...
People tell you that you are too old for dolls when you are 6
Boys your age are all shorter than you and creepy old men check you out... Lol
Anyway to draw something positive here i am glad so many admire height and will be focussing on all the positive aspects if DD ever expresses insecurity about her height...

BeaWheesht Tue 30-Apr-13 18:39:57

Dd is 95cm and 18kg. Very broad shouldered and massive head etc. comments don't bother me but I'm used to it - ds was much taller at this age, now at 6 he isn't as far ahead of his peers as he used to be.

MiaowTheCat Tue 30-Apr-13 20:01:55

I've had both sides of it with DD1... the tiny comments as she was premature - and then she started growing and went nuts! At just turned 1 she's in 18-24 month clothing and starting to dip into 2-3 stuff, and she gets mistaken for a 2 year old regularly.

Her dad is 6 foot 7. I blame him. Incidentally he was never massively tall as a kid - just kept bloody going!

Fantail Wed 01-May-13 06:08:06

My DD was 91cm and 13kg at her 2 year check. I am average height, DH is tall. We live in NZ where there are a lot of tall women, at 5'4" I am at the short end for my generation.

We haven't really had too many comments - being NZ they are along the sport related lines rather than modelling grin

JollyPurpleGiant Wed 01-May-13 06:18:33

I'm 5'1. DS turned 2 last week and is 88.5cm and 13.9kg. Just under 75th for height and just under 91st for weight smile

daisylulu Wed 01-May-13 06:21:56

My DD who just turned 2 is 92 cm, 15 kilo and has size 7 feet! grin

I'm only 5'2 and DH 5'10. Tbh I was very tall as a child and then stopped growing at 12 years old so I don't think tall DC definitely equals tall adult.

We do get the odd comment about how big DD is but I'm quite proud (after having endured lots of comments about how short I am). The only thing I do worry about (on a light hearted note) is whether DD is going to have HUGE feet when she's older.

OP - out of interest what size are your DDs feet?

youbethemummylion Wed 01-May-13 06:31:16

Poppywearer I am do glad you posted as I was beginning to think i was the only one Ds1 is on the 91st cenntile and Ds2 on the 2nd I have been worrying myself sick thinking something must be wrong with DS2! All the health.proffesionals say is how every child is different but still cant believe they can be this different!

Jakeyblueblue Wed 01-May-13 07:19:11

Daisy my ds 22 months has size 71/2 feet! As I said earlier, he's massive anyway but his feet look especially huge!

chattychattyboomba Wed 01-May-13 08:57:57

Daisy- DD also has size 7 feet. Turned 2 just over a week ago.

hazeyjane Wed 01-May-13 10:47:07

ds is 2.10 - 87cm tall (just under 2nd centile) and weighs 14.6 kg (between 50th and 75th centile)

juicyshops - do you mind me asking what growth problems your dd has? I hope you don't mind. Ds has a genetic condition so his height maybe because of that (although as a family we are all shortarses!)

Ds only gets comments when people know his age, otherwise they just assume he is a baby. He has very babyish features, no speech and is delayed in all areas, so it is only when people know that he is nearly 3, that they are a bit shock.

hazeyjane Wed 01-May-13 10:49:01

He also has size 4 feet!!

MoominsYonisAreScary Wed 01-May-13 11:33:13

Ds3 2.1 I have no idea how much he weighs or his height but last time they checked him he was off the chart!

He's in age 4 clothes and 9.5 shoes. He was my smallest baby at 8 weeks early and 4lb 4. Ds1 was the biggest at 11lb 2 and is 6.4 and still growing now (he's 18)

Ds4 is 12 weeks and I don't think he will be in his 3-6 month clothes for much longer.

gourd Wed 01-May-13 13:42:34

Random people comment on my child's haIr colour every time we go out of the house. Although they mean well, her hair colour is not the most important thing about her of course, and I suspect they are only trying to make conversation really. Unfortunately, appearance is what most people notice first though and often seem to feel free to comment on, whether you like it or not. I think all you can do is try to instill in your child the sense that what is inside is a lot more important, and in fact THE most important thing about her/him. Build their confidence about themselves in other areas by praising their strengths. That's all any parent can do really.

Coffee1Sugar Wed 01-May-13 18:46:13

Dd is 2.11 97cms and size 7 feet and was a very average 8lb 3oz at birth and yet EVERYONE comments about how talk she is

My ds is 90cm tall and 14.1kgs. He was 8/13 born, always on the 98th too, and people assume he's 3ish.
I love him being bigger, the only thing that I don't like is that because everyone thinks he's older, they think he's behind as he's not talking properly yet!
Hoping he'll be a rugger player grin

Oh, ds is is 20 months btw smile

resipsa Wed 01-May-13 19:27:03

Oh, we've started on the feet? DD (27 months, 96 cms and 16.5kgs) is in size 8.5H - only two pairs in the shop were in her size and one pair was obviously meant for school sad. Luckily, the other pair was pink with fairies! DH has size 15 (yes, UK not US) feet so it was inevitable...

RugBugs Wed 01-May-13 19:27:07

I'm another who quite likes it when DDs height is commented on by people, I'm 5ft3 and the shortest in my family by some way.
DD is 2.5 and has been in 91st centile for height since she hit a year (she started off in 12th), she's quite slim too with a fine bone structure (another gene she didn't get from me!) which makes her appear taller and older.
She can also run bloody fast, which is always good.

coffeewineandchocolate Wed 01-May-13 19:33:18

ds is 2.3. heis 16.6kg, 96cm and wears 7.5h shoes. dh is 6ft 3 tho and im also tall. he went to hospital on Mon (whole other thread) and none of the medical professionals could believe he was 2! it's very frustrating and I'm sick of hearing 'he's so big!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now