My hunt for a perfect pencil grip is over!

(7 Posts)
Wallace Fri 26-Apr-13 21:35:51

Ds (6) has problems with fine motor control and cannot hold a pencil properly. We have tried many pencil grips and none of them really worked. And they get lost to easily (ds also has problems with organisation!)

When we saw the paediatrician he (the doc) also had poor fine motor control and needed pencil grips. On all his pens he had that plaster stuff that comes on a roll wrapped around.

Tried it on ds's pencils and it is perfect - soft and grippy. He can finally hold a pencil!

Goldmandra Fri 26-Apr-13 21:43:22

Just showed this to DD2 (10) and we're going to put some on her pencils this weekend.

Thanks for sharing smile

Wallace Fri 26-Apr-13 22:01:53

Hope it helps smile

Manchesterhistorygirl Fri 26-Apr-13 22:04:07

I'm going to try that, thanks for the tip. Neither ds1 nor I can hold pens or pencils properly, so that's well worth a try, thanks.

PolterGoose Sat 27-Apr-13 09:30:30

If you want something slightly more aesthetically pleasing you might like these Noodle Doodle Grips which ds's OT recommended.

SuedeEffectPochette Sat 27-Apr-13 10:10:16

Thanks OP - that is a great tip. For years we have struggled with my DD pencil grip but sadly I think she is too used to doing it wrong now. Does the plaster just make it less slippy or does it direct the 3 fingers to their correct places too?

Wallace Sat 27-Apr-13 21:13:19

I do like the noodle grips - had never seen them before.

I think it does help to direct the three fingers in the right place too because you can make it as bulky as the child (or you!) need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now