What did your 13 or 14 month old eat yesterday?

(37 Posts)
oinkment Fri 26-Apr-13 07:26:28

Or on a typical day?

I think I am woefully underfeeding mine. She's just isn't very interested, but then feeds every 2 hours overnight hmm.

Gooseysgirl Thu 02-May-13 22:34:16

Yesterday DD 14m had..
7am - 7-8oz milk
Nursery
8am - 3 squares of toast, porridge
11.30am - chicken chowmein, yoghurt
4pm - homemade pizza slices
She is offered an assortment of snacks during the day and usually likes raisins, rice cakes, breadsticks and throws the rest on the floor. She drinks lots of water.
Home
6pm - toast/nibbles from our dinner plates
6.30pm - 7-8oz milk

I have noticed recently she's not as good as she used to be at trying new finger foods. If she doesn't like how it feels in her hand she throws it on the floor!!! She's not great with fruit at the moment, hoping that'll change as DH and I are big fruit eaters and thought it might have rubbed off on her..

Busybeebaby Thu 02-May-13 22:12:32

oh and the weetabix was with cows milk for his breaskfast

Busybeebaby Thu 02-May-13 22:10:57

My 12.5 month old DS:

5 am BF

7 am BF

8.30 am 1 weetabix mixed with a bit of fruit pot puree and a cup of water.

10.30 am snack, 3 slices of apple and a few grapes (where he actually ate 1 grape and a bite of 1 apple and the rest ended up on the floor) plus a cup of water.

12.30 pm lunch, mashed potato, cheese and beans, very diluted squash and the rest of his fruit pot puree as dessert.

3.30 pm snack, 2 bread sticks, strips of ham and 2 slices of orange (he ate some of the orange but everything else went on the floor) and a few sips of water.

5.30 pm dinner, pork, veg and pasta, a cup of water and yoghurt.

6.30 pm BF

8.30 pm BF before bed.

Basically anything that is spoon fed to him he wolfs down with gusto but when it comes to feeding himself with finger foods he barely touches it, much to my dismay!!!!

Bearandcub Wed 01-May-13 11:18:31

14 month old greedy fucker

Breakfast - 2slices of toast with butter and jam, water.
Nursery
Snack- raisins and breadsticks with humous, water.
Lunch- pork sweet and sour noodles with stir fried veg and yoghurt. water.
Snack - pear, water.
Tea -salmon and asparagus quiche (2 slices).
home
Dinner - diced marinated turkey, salad and mayonnaise in pitta. 2x chocolate digestives.

7 pm 8 oz formula bottle

11 pm 4 oz milk

And he was still hungry! [sigh]

mummybare Brazil Wed 01-May-13 07:48:20

I really feel for you, Poppins. I guess the only thing you can do is continue to offer a wide variety of healthy food and try not to worry about whether or not it is eaten, while making an effort to keep mealtimes relaxed and fun. Easier said than done, though, I know. Have you tried offering things in different situations? Like when you're out and about having a snack/ in the garden etc? It's interesting she'll have certain things at her Auntie's. (Mind you, we all know they save their most charming behavior for us, right?!)

Poppins27 Wed 01-May-13 07:00:39

Thanks mummy bare. I have been offering her the grapes for about 4 weeks now, most lunchtimes, but they always go untouched. The apricots about a week, so I do try to persevere, I jut think I have a stubborn monkey on my hands. I also buy blueberries and raspberries as she apparently eats these at her Aunties, will she touch them at home...absolutely not!! hmm

mummybare Brazil Wed 01-May-13 06:38:48

I keep offering new foods to replace out fail safes but without success. Any tips?!

Well, I know with DD she might reject something one day and it be the thing she picks out to eat first the next, so it might be worth trying things a few times? It could be that she's rejecting the unfamiliarity and that as she gets used to these 'new' things being offered she might accept them more readily.

I read somewhere that toddlers are programmed to get fussier around this age (one theory is that it's a survival thing as they get more mobile so babies straying from the cave don't eat too many poisonous berries or something, but I digress...) so, while it's frustrating and disheartening, it's also totally developmentally normal, if that makes you feel better. It's hard not to worry and focus on it but I suspect it goes away more quickly if you don't.

YonicTheHedgehog Tue 30-Apr-13 23:30:22

I should mention the things she refused too, thinking about it.

The other bit of the weetabix
More strawberries
More cheerios
Chicken sandwich
Banana
Peas
Raspberries
Banana

I feel like I throw more away than goes in her stomach. We do better with fruit than veg and we get about 1 week in 4 where she eats everything plus more. I think she stocks up!

YonicTheHedgehog Tue 30-Apr-13 23:06:04

Mine eats bugger all! I don't know how she survives.
1/4 weetabix
1 strawberry
Handful cheerios
1 slice of ham
1 waffle
The inside of 5 blueberries - spat out the skin
And a million breastfeeds

Wakes every 2 hours in the night and always has done.

Bouncey Tue 30-Apr-13 23:01:28

Great thread. My 15 month old had:

7am:5oz milk, couple of rice cakes
8.30 One weetabix with milk
11.30: Lasagne with sweetcorn and peas followed by pear
2pm: 7oz milk
3.30pm: small turkey sandwich, grapes, piece of birthday cake
5pm: some raisins
6pm: very small portion fish pie, yoghurt and some satsuma (most went on floor!)
7pm: 5oz milk and bed

That was a good day - she's very variable, some days eats loads, other days nothing but yoghurt, satsuma and milk.

Poppins27 Tue 30-Apr-13 22:23:49

I'm finding this thread so interesting as I'm tying myself up in knots about my Dds eating. She is nearly 14 months old and likes what she likes, but will absolutely not try new things, and is increasingly refusing foods she previously ate.

Today she has had;
6.30 - 8oz whole milk
7am - 1 weetabix and half a banan
11.30 - few raisins and water
1pm - ham sandwich, 2 slices of brown bread, 6 smalls chunks of cheese, a bite of a stick of celery and some melon
3pm - a few banana crisps
5.30 - about 4 or 5 spoons of tea which was roast chicken, veg and mashed potato
7.30 - 7oz of milk

I find that she tends to eat the same day in and day out as is not trying anything else. Today, and as always I have offered grapes for lunch (used to eat) which were thrown on the floor, dried apricots which I thought she may like as similar to raisins that she loves.

I keep offering new foods to replace out fail safes but without success. Any tips?!

mummybare Brazil Tue 30-Apr-13 21:54:22

12mo DD had:

7am bf
7.30am Ready Brek with cow's milk, strawberries, blueberries
9.30am plum
11am pasta with cheese sauce, spinach, broccoli (ridiculously big portion -no idea where she was putting it all...)
3-3.30pm 3-4 flavoured baby rice cakes and pack Ella's munchy biccies
5pm stuffed peppers with cous cous sultanas, carrot, apple, cheese - 2 halves.
6.40pm bf

She is quite a small little thing (between 25th and 50th centile), but she doesn't stop moving EVER when she's awake, so she can eat a fair amount. Most days she'll have a yoghurt with afternoon snack and some meat/fish too. She was always into her food, though, and dropped milk feeds quite quickly once we introduced solids.

Thurlow Tue 30-Apr-13 14:58:48

Nearly 15mo:

7.30 - 5oz milk
8.30 - bowl of Shreddies with milk
11.30 - 1 scrambled egg, and about 1/3 of one of those microwave pots of baked beans, fromage frais, some peach slices
2.00 - a Heinz baby biscotti (found a few rattling around that needed finishing)
3.00 - 4oz milk
4.30 - a probably ridiculous amount of raisins
6.00 - slice of fresh bread and butter, a banana
7.30 - 5oz milk

DD wasn't too impressed with food at the beginning, so we started cutting the milk feeds and offering food instead. She still loves milk and I swear if we only offered milk all day she'd be fine with that.

Lozzy21 Tue 30-Apr-13 10:27:48

DD has just turned 12 months last week,yesterday she ate:

7am - 8oz milk

8am - a whole pear (chopped into bitesize pieces) plus yoghurt

12.30ish - Heinz steamed meal of pasta&mushroom in tom sauce. Cheese stick&a few apple rice cakes

5.30pm - cod in parsley sauce with mashed sweet potato. Half a custard pot and s handful of raspberries.

7.30pm - 8oz bottle of milk before bed at 8pm

She also has a beaker of very diluted juice which she drinks throughout the day

Some days she eats really well whereas other days not so good...on the days that she will not eat much,I will just try to up the milk intake or give yoghurt ad she NEVER refuses that!

Hope that helps :-)

MiaowTheCat Sun 28-Apr-13 14:02:58

DD1 (almost 13 months but was 7 weeks premature - I've kind of stopped adjusting her age now... but she's the height of a typical 18 month old)

Normally
6am - bottle of milk
8am - breakfast - one weetabix biscuit, piece of fruit (think it was pear)
12-00 - lunch - yoghurt-pot sized portion of pasta in a tomato and cram as many vegetables in as I could find in the drawer in the fridge sauce and a yoghurt
4pm - tea - yoghurt-pot sized portion of cheesy veg - basically cauliflower cheese with broccoli, carrot and whatever else I've chucked in there, piece of fruit
6pm - bottle of milk

She's got quite an early bedtime - by 6pm she's absolutely wiped out and will zonk like a light till 5.45ish the following morning. Portions are yoghurt-pot sized purely as that's what I use to freeze them in when I batch cook - varies if I do a finger foody lunch or something spoonable - that just happened to be yesterday.

No teeth (not for want of screaming - we have the first pair taunting me below her gums and not breaking through...they'll break ME before they break the effing gumline!) - doesn't stop her though.

Stephanie16 Sun 28-Apr-13 14:01:59

hi oinkment just wanted to say may be cutting down a bit her milk during the day might help so that she is hungry.

notso Sun 28-Apr-13 11:13:47

Verybusy I just cut up food into small pieces, as I started weaning at 6.5mo I introduced lumps/finger food from day 1 so he is well used to them.
In a typical meal I leave some things whole for him to eat with his hands like asparagus or carrot batons then the rest I do a mixture of spoon feeding and pre-loaded spoons/forks that he feeds himself.

gloucestergirl Sat 27-Apr-13 21:42:34

My DD is very much the same. Loves milk and for the past week hasn't eaten much at all. She does through ups and downs with eating food.

Today was a brilliant day by our standards

6.30 - bottle of milk
8 - half a banana and yoghurt (good as she was refusing breakfast before)
10 ish - bottle of milk
12 ish - pasta and chicken soup (tiny portion and most on ground)
2 ish - clementine/satsma/mandarin or small orange (loves these)
4 ish - roll of bread and bottle of milk
6 ish - some of my chilli con carne
8 ish - bottle of milk

There will be milk at midnight and in the middle of night if I'm unlucky.

I think DD is a fussy eater and so I am trying a balance between getting her to eat new flavours and getting her to eat anything. She loves those small oranges and bread rolls. I could easily give her only those and milk - if I wanted a quiet life.

She also loves trying to feed herself. So if she is refusing to eat then I give her a plastic head to toe bib and a spoon. That sometimes helps, so does giving her food before milk (although it can turn into a major tantrum).

She will turn her nose up at dishes that I have lovingly prepared for her - then I caught her eating the bloody pet's food!

I was told off by the baby nurse for her drinking too much milk. I pointed out that DD has made herself sick in the past if she doesn't like or want to eat food. But nurse (cow) was insistent that we perserve. I have ignored the woman and think it will come when it comes.

Read "My child won't eat" by Carlos Gonzales for reassurance.

oinkment Sat 27-Apr-13 11:11:37

Today she has had...

1 grape, 1 munchy biscuit and 1 bite of peanut butter sandwich for breakfast.

An inch of banana for snack.

3 crisps (accidental, filched from big bro), 1/4 cherry tomato, most of a petit filou and 3 bites of an oat cake for lunch.

A sucky pouch of fruit for snack.

(time difference - it's mid aft here).

oinkment Sat 27-Apr-13 11:06:11

Thanks everyone. This is helpful.

she doesn't eat half what your babies do. we offer it regularly and she plays with it and chucks it on the floor. But then she's not hungry because she has milk all day and night. Yesterday and today we are making a conscious effort to get more food into her and less milk at night.

Verybusymummyof2 Sat 27-Apr-13 03:07:26

This is good for ideas, have a 13month corrected prem baby. How lumpy do you do your meals? Obviously sandwiches are sandwiches, but do you still whizz or mash some main food meals together?. Baby is a bit developmentally delayed but seems to be coming along with food. Just curious about how lumpy??

Breakfast - 6oz formula, 1 heaped table spoon readybreak, made with cows milk, mixed with fruitpot, followed by some blueberries.

Snack - rusk.

Lunch - cottage pie, yogurt, satsuma, water

4oz cows milk, offered 6 but didn't want it all.

Tea - macaroni cheese with peas, rice cakes

Bedtime bottle, 6oz

Lawabidingmama Fri 26-Apr-13 22:39:10

Yes my DD seems to eat plenty she's just a dot though (9-25th centile) so I'm a bit hmm about the night bottle? She never stops though has walked since 9 months and now climbs runs etc

HappyAsEyeAm Fri 26-Apr-13 21:50:07

Breakfast - one and a half weetabix with milk. Then 200 ml formula

Lunch - large portion Annabel karmel lentils, passata, carrot, sweet potato and leek. Rice pudding.

Tea - large portion beef casserole. Papaya. Breadsticks and organix tomato crisps to nibble on.

Bedtime - 200 ml formula.

Oopla Fri 26-Apr-13 21:39:34

As an aside he's only been sleeping through for a month and since night feeds stopped eats loads more.

Whenever we've had days where he's not eaten much I try to remember someone saying that milk is LOADED with calories.

Oopla Fri 26-Apr-13 21:36:01

6am boobfest
7am mahoosive bowl porridge
9.30am banana
10am boob
12pm half cheese sarnie handful quavers (booooo!)
2pm boob
3pm plum, biscuit
5pm bowl pasta, pork, veggies
6.30 boob n bed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now