How far do you make your 3 and a bit year old walk?

(30 Posts)
rednellie Tue 23-Apr-13 15:51:06

Just wanted a straw poll as my DD (3.3) is a very reluctant walker and I'm trying to get her to do more and she is having none of it.

I know some people say you just have to not engage and carry on, but she totally loses it. I've got 1 year old twins, so sometimes it is just easier to stick her on the buggy board/sling/front of buggy then have a half hour melt down in the middle of the pavement.

I was just interested if I'm being a bit unreasonable expecting her to walk more, or if everyone's 3 year old is actually galloping everywhere.

thebeastandbeauty Wed 24-Apr-13 21:59:47

2.10 years old here and will do the mile to her sister's school run with a bit of a cajoling. No way would she do 5 miles in a day.

MiaowTheCat Thu 25-Apr-13 12:52:23

Surely it's pointless comparing distances peoples' kids walk since you live in different areas? I could amble along quite happily on the flat for miles... but put hills in my way and I would be wanting to be pushed in a buggy!

Wouldn't be expecting someone who lived where I do at the top of a stupid hill that grown adults stop and catch their breath halfway up to have kids doing walks to and from the shops as early and as easily as someone who lived equally near the shops but had a walk along the flat.

lljkk Thu 25-Apr-13 17:47:50

Most people I know who don't use buggies after age 3....

use the car instead. Or chivvy them along with sweets.

DD was a very difficult walker until at least 3.5 and HUGELY, MASSIVELY better at 4.

capitals for sheer relief there. If she won't stand nicely on the buggy board I would persist with the scooter and also leave loads of time for every journey. At that stage I left 1hr15mins per mile, and she walked 2 miles a day.

It will get better promise.

If you're having dithering/slow walking issues I had a keep level or ahead of the pushchair or you have to hold onto the handle policy. First few journeys very stressful, much less stressful later.

rednellie Thu 25-Apr-13 19:54:58

Thanks everyone. Liking the solidarity and yes we will get practicing with the scooter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now