How often should I wash her comfort toy?

(14 Posts)
babybouncer Tue 23-Apr-13 12:52:07

DD has a mouse she sleeps with ( this one technically we have two!) and it smells foul. It can't be machine washed, but I've just rinsed the ears under the tap and it has dried stiff.

How can I wash it?
How often should I wash it - will it be a health hazard if I don't?
How can I make it fluffy again?

5madthings Tue 23-Apr-13 12:55:00

We have that mouse!!

My dd has a cuddly lamb, i.have hand washed it/sponged it down but it needs to go in the washing machine... According to the steiff website i can put it in a pillowcase and wash it at 30deg but i am paranoid of killing it. We have a spare but dd doesnt love the spare, she loves 'skanky' lamby as i call it!

5madthings Tue 23-Apr-13 12:55:51

Re drying it i sit and rub lamby with a towel to dry him and have been known to use a hair dryer...

Fluffy101 Tue 23-Apr-13 12:55:53

Personally I put everything on the washer like that . Do you have a quick wash option?

Ginismyfriend Tue 23-Apr-13 12:57:59

DD has a similar one - I started sticking it in the wash because it was getting disgusting. There was a point when she'd just started nursery and was taking it to help her settle where it needed washing at least every other night, because it was caked in malt loaf and paint smile. It doesn't look much like it used to, but she still loves it!

Is it worth running your spare through on a wool cycle (if the mouse is still available to buy if it goes wrong) to see what happens?

5madthings Tue 23-Apr-13 12:58:51

I say take the dress off, put it in a pillowcase on a quick wash or a delicates cycle and it will be fine. We have a jellycat rabbit thats been.through the wash and seems fine smile

Towel dry and put in airing cupboard, on radiator or use a hair dryer smile

5madthings Tue 23-Apr-13 12:59:33

And you can still buy the same mouse in my local.john lewis smile

YBR Tue 23-Apr-13 14:03:54

We have (3) jellycat lambs (DD doesn't yet know there are several) They frequently go through the wash - there's at least on most days. No problems so far.

YBR Tue 23-Apr-13 14:04:57

I should have said: we try not to let her have the same one for more than 24 hours as she sucks them soggy and they rapidly smell rank.

unclefluffy Tue 23-Apr-13 14:06:10

Our one of those mice has been through the wash - 30 degree quickwash with the rest of DD's clothes. It's totally fine. Might be a bit less fine if you did it the whole time, I suppose...

ellesabe Tue 23-Apr-13 18:48:15

We have a similar toy mouse that can't be machine washed. We put it in a big sock and tied a knot in the end. It was fine.

MiaowTheCat Tue 23-Apr-13 19:27:51

DD1's bunny gets washed everytime the ears on it become crunchy (she likes to chew them). Bunny has an identical twin though and they get swapped in order to do this (and hopefully to even out the wear on them and so they'll both smell "properly" of Bunny as she becomes older and wiser). I left "imposter" Bunny in her cot for a few weeks so he picked up a bit of the familiar smell and then she took to him just fine.

Basically when it starts to make me boak a bit picking it up is when I wash comfort toys.

Poppystar1 Tue 23-Apr-13 20:23:05

We have the jellycat rabbit which looks as if it's made from the same fabric as your mouse - it has been through the wash on a cool quick wash cycle several times and is fine. I do put it in a mesh bag as well just to be on the safe side.

babybouncer Thu 25-Apr-13 21:13:22

I'm going to stick the spare through the wash as suggested this weekend, then. Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now