tips needed please!! deoderant woes!

(11 Posts)
crkm Wed 10-Apr-13 22:48:07

merlypuss - my other son uses Lynx for the same reason lol!! (he is 11!!)

goldmandra - will have a look at Hibiscrub - thank you x

Goldmandra Wed 10-Apr-13 11:01:10

If all else fails get him to wash with Hibiscrub. That kills off the bugs which cause the smell so he will still sweat but won't smell offensive.

I have used alcohol get instead of deodorant when DD has been in hospital and it was all I had. It worked really well and left no stickiness so that is another possible option for him to try.

MERLYPUSS Wed 10-Apr-13 09:40:07

You could always be brutal with him and tell him he will smell and people will think he's a soap dodger. I run a cub pack and all the boys wanted a particular colour of Lynx as that was the coolest (and apparently you had most sucess with the girls. They are 8 - 10 yrs FFS!)

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 09-Apr-13 17:19:39

grin

crkm Tue 09-Apr-13 17:18:13

god help us then x

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 09-Apr-13 16:57:13

Yay! Great news.

My DH had one when I first met him, they look pricey but they last for ages.

And he won't smell girly (or hideously Linx-y) as it's neutral.

Then you just have to wait till shaving.... wink

crkm Tue 09-Apr-13 12:57:24

just showed him an add for it - and he is willing to try it. Thank you thanks

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 09-Apr-13 12:02:32

I completely understand, that's why I'm so shocked about my DS and the request for deoderant! Do you have a "cool kid" in the class you can talk about - kid X wears deo etc? grin

Brushing teeth was like pulling teeth....mouthwash was obviously some acidic poison I was trying to "off" him with, and showers entailed much moaning and screaming hmm

The next thing you know you are done negotiating and cajoling- all the Lego is in the cellar, everyone is close to tears and the doors are slamming, for an everyday 1 minute task. Now I hear the electric toothbrush going on early on a Saturday before I am up!

When I had to broach the subject of flossing, ughh. But I bought a Waterpik, and it's such a novel device, with only water going in (which he can see) that he has quite taken to it.

That's why I'm thinking the Deo Crystal - it's quite sort of Sci-fi ish isn't it? wink

crkm Tue 09-Apr-13 11:28:30

will have at look at those - thank you! He just doesn't like change, and will refuse everything if its different - ! yes I feel bad banning things - but with him you have to force him to do things - then after a while it becomes a normal part of his life and he gets on with things.

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 09-Apr-13 11:17:16

What about one of those cream ones - that's like a stick you rub under the arm? All the main mens brands do a deo stick.

Also Google Deoderant Crystal - not slimey at all and maybe novel enough to get him to try it?

It's a bit harsh to have to ban activities to wear a deoderant, you must be at the end of your tether. Is he afraid of growing up perhaps? Or just change?

There is a boy in DS's class who is using deo at 9 and they all think it's brilliant (a lot of the girls have a crush on him too) and my son can't wait. I am currently holding back as he is fine without it!

crkm Tue 09-Apr-13 10:00:36

My 10 year old son absolutely refuses to wear deodorant and he really needs to!! He hates the sprays so we got a roll on - but he says its too cold and wet and slimey. I know that the more he does it he will get used to it - but it took 10 mins of cajoling pleading and finally getting mad and banning every computer and game in the house from him until he starts using it - and banning his taekwondo session this afternoon. he refused to put it on himself so I did it - and then he got mad and smashed all his brothers lego up - so now I have 2 upset boys and a stressed me. He is a highly intelligent child and has always been difficult to persuade from his particular ways of thinking, he has always needed huge persuasion to do things. but its just deodorant - and I cant be having this fight every morning!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now