tips needed please!! deoderant woes!

(11 Posts)
crkm Tue 09-Apr-13 10:00:36

My 10 year old son absolutely refuses to wear deodorant and he really needs to!! He hates the sprays so we got a roll on - but he says its too cold and wet and slimey. I know that the more he does it he will get used to it - but it took 10 mins of cajoling pleading and finally getting mad and banning every computer and game in the house from him until he starts using it - and banning his taekwondo session this afternoon. he refused to put it on himself so I did it - and then he got mad and smashed all his brothers lego up - so now I have 2 upset boys and a stressed me. He is a highly intelligent child and has always been difficult to persuade from his particular ways of thinking, he has always needed huge persuasion to do things. but its just deodorant - and I cant be having this fight every morning!!

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 09-Apr-13 11:17:16

What about one of those cream ones - that's like a stick you rub under the arm? All the main mens brands do a deo stick.

Also Google Deoderant Crystal - not slimey at all and maybe novel enough to get him to try it?

It's a bit harsh to have to ban activities to wear a deoderant, you must be at the end of your tether. Is he afraid of growing up perhaps? Or just change?

There is a boy in DS's class who is using deo at 9 and they all think it's brilliant (a lot of the girls have a crush on him too) and my son can't wait. I am currently holding back as he is fine without it!

crkm Tue 09-Apr-13 11:28:30

will have at look at those - thank you! He just doesn't like change, and will refuse everything if its different - ! yes I feel bad banning things - but with him you have to force him to do things - then after a while it becomes a normal part of his life and he gets on with things.

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 09-Apr-13 12:02:32

I completely understand, that's why I'm so shocked about my DS and the request for deoderant! Do you have a "cool kid" in the class you can talk about - kid X wears deo etc? grin

Brushing teeth was like pulling teeth....mouthwash was obviously some acidic poison I was trying to "off" him with, and showers entailed much moaning and screaming hmm

The next thing you know you are done negotiating and cajoling- all the Lego is in the cellar, everyone is close to tears and the doors are slamming, for an everyday 1 minute task. Now I hear the electric toothbrush going on early on a Saturday before I am up!

When I had to broach the subject of flossing, ughh. But I bought a Waterpik, and it's such a novel device, with only water going in (which he can see) that he has quite taken to it.

That's why I'm thinking the Deo Crystal - it's quite sort of Sci-fi ish isn't it? wink

crkm Tue 09-Apr-13 12:57:24

just showed him an add for it - and he is willing to try it. Thank you thanks

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 09-Apr-13 16:57:13

Yay! Great news.

My DH had one when I first met him, they look pricey but they last for ages.

And he won't smell girly (or hideously Linx-y) as it's neutral.

Then you just have to wait till shaving.... wink

crkm Tue 09-Apr-13 17:18:13

god help us then x

WallyBantersJunkBox Tue 09-Apr-13 17:19:39

grin

MERLYPUSS Wed 10-Apr-13 09:40:07

You could always be brutal with him and tell him he will smell and people will think he's a soap dodger. I run a cub pack and all the boys wanted a particular colour of Lynx as that was the coolest (and apparently you had most sucess with the girls. They are 8 - 10 yrs FFS!)

Goldmandra Wed 10-Apr-13 11:01:10

If all else fails get him to wash with Hibiscrub. That kills off the bugs which cause the smell so he will still sweat but won't smell offensive.

I have used alcohol get instead of deodorant when DD has been in hospital and it was all I had. It worked really well and left no stickiness so that is another possible option for him to try.

crkm Wed 10-Apr-13 22:48:07

merlypuss - my other son uses Lynx for the same reason lol!! (he is 11!!)

goldmandra - will have a look at Hibiscrub - thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now