Understanding the word NO

(7 Posts)
Tasha83 Mon 08-Apr-13 11:09:51

Hello there,

My 13 month old still will not listen to the word no!! I feel like I spend my whole day saying 'no' 'no' 'no' to stop her playing up! When I give her a firm tone she just thinks its a game and does it more lol!! But when she sits and does something she knows she shouldn't she says 'oh no' or 'uh oh' so I know that she understands! Any tips or anything to help! She isn't a naughty child she is at the age where she is adventurous and wants to play with everything she shouldnt and tip her juice on the floor etc!

Well at least she's understanding it! smile

Seriously though, it is just a timing thing - plan on patience and persistence for the next few years months in relation to 'no' and 'please/thank you'. it does take a huge number of repetitions to get things to sink in - as long as you're consistent (and don't let her see you smiling when she's being naughty but cute) she will get there.

One of the things that helps here now (but took about six months to work starting around the 1yo mark) is stating 'mama is going to count to three/five/ten and then will do x if you don't do y'. Once small child realised 'x' would happen as stated I now usually only have to get to 2 before co-operation (mostly) kicks in.

rrreow Mon 08-Apr-13 14:10:12

Remove temptations and reserve the word 'no' for when it really matters (i.e. dangerous situations like going near the oven etc). Make sure that the environment she's in allows her to explore and be free. If you find you are saying 'no' all the time, then you need to change the situation to allow yourself not to have to.

Also evaluate whether you really need to say no or whether there is something else you can say or do. So when she tips her juice upside down say "Juice is for drinking" and if she does it again, take it away. So she will start to learn consequences without saying no (as I find that the more you use it, the more it loses its impact).

DS is 23mo now and if I say 'no' it will literally stop him in his tracks, because it's a word he probably doesn't hear more than once or twice a day.

Tasha83 Mon 08-Apr-13 15:40:58

wink Thank you for your suggestions! I think the fact I say it so much she finds it funny and plays on it! She knows please, ta and more! Just the no word! If I replace the no word then maybe she will listen a little more! I will try your suggestions and see how we go! I need to be patient I know, but I know she has understood me for a while, she is extremely cheeky xx

teacher123 Mon 08-Apr-13 17:50:59

My ds 11mo is the same! He now stops what he's doing when I say no, turns and looks at me, smiles and then carries on!! Am just going for repetition and removal, and lots of praise when he does stop whatever destruction he's causing!

clabsyqueen Mon 08-Apr-13 21:52:47

I'm with rreow. Reserve No for when its really needed otherwise it definitely loses its power. I noticed that my NOs would be very funny to DD so i stopped using it so much and now she's very good when I do say it. I like the 'juice is for drinking' example, you can apply it to almost everything (doesn't come easy at first but you get used to it).

clabsyqueen Mon 08-Apr-13 21:52:47

I'm with rreow. Reserve No for when its really needed otherwise it definitely loses its power. I noticed that my NOs would be very funny to DD so i stopped using it so much and now she's very good when I do say it. I like the 'juice is for drinking' example, you can apply it to almost everything (doesn't come easy at first but you get used to it).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now