Does it count as a first word if...

(15 Posts)
LeBFG Wed 03-Apr-13 09:55:33

My pediatrician says if the sound is repeated and always means the same thing then it counts as a word. Good job as DS (2) has lots of these 'words'. I mean, what does he think he's saying when red is rendered into a very throaty dAAAdOO hmm. At the same time, his first word was green and he prounounced it impeccably. Odd babies!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 03-Apr-13 09:14:02

My first word was bird and both my DDs was bird too! Bizzarre. I was always pointing them out to both DDs as I assume my Dad was to me...I actually said "Birdie" in a heavy Liverpudlian accent as that's how my Dad spoke grin

MiaSparrow Wed 03-Apr-13 08:43:22

You'll be so proud of his first, actual real word in English that you'll forget about this one! Be patient. wink

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Tue 02-Apr-13 22:27:14

Could he be saying 'lamp'?

ellesabe Tue 02-Apr-13 20:41:24

Yes! My hv said the same as steppemum. Apparently animal noises count too grin

My dd used to have some mad words that sounded nothing like the real version. At 2.5yo she still uses them sometimes!

Kiki = thank you
Lacky = yoghurt
Me me = yes please
Marley = banana
Kah = drink

steppemum that's what he does! Well, he looks at the light when we say 'where's the light' and then says aumpth over and over, and then stares at me saying 'light' and repeats 'aumpth' each time, looking very pleased with himself.

He does say mummum bababa already but I don't count them as words as there's no real connection, he just babbles.

Good idea on videoing it, I bet there are loads of things he thinks he is saying that we don't recognise yet!

So cute, this is better than when he walked, no sure why just seems like he's thinking about it more

steppemum Netherlands Tue 02-Apr-13 00:22:23

HV etc have a rule of thumb for counting how many words a child has.

It has to be recognisably the same to YOU (the mother/father) so you know what they mean, even if an outsider wouldn't recognise it, and they have to use the same sound repeatedly.

So if he says aumpth, and it always sounds like aumpth and he is pointing at/asking for the light every time then it counts!!

ClaraOswald Tue 02-Apr-13 00:09:14

my nephews was cat. Bloody obsessed.

Gruntfuttocks Tue 02-Apr-13 00:09:09

Take some video of him 'talking' now. It's amazing how many words you can pick out of baby babble from early on when you watch it back later and they have developed 'proper' speech. I think early attempts at words if they are consistent should definitely count as 'first words'.

DS2's first word was "ded-a-done" (= telephone) - weird! Also "clock" on the same day. None of this da-da-da for him!

fortyplus Tue 02-Apr-13 00:09:03

ps according to my mum my first word was 'more!' grin

fortyplus Tue 02-Apr-13 00:08:22

All babies babble mamamamama dadadadadada bababababa - that's why the words for 'mum' 'dad' and 'baby' are similar in every language. smile

aufaniae Tue 02-Apr-13 00:05:05

Aw, I think it counts! Well if he says it the same way each time and it means something then why not?

Reckon the most popular first word is probably mum / mumma as so easy to say.

Mine was "no" apparently.

I can't remember what DS's was, is that bad? blush

Ohh sad

But I'm absolutely sure that's what he's saying.

I wonder what the most popular first word is...

TreeLuLa Mon 01-Apr-13 22:11:35

Sorry - nope.

DT1 said 'Hair' very clearly at 9 months so keep listening!! Sure it won't be long until one that sound like what it is

grin

It doesn't sound anything like it should?

DS (9 mo) says 'light' I'm 99.9% sure it's what he thinks he's saying but it sounds like 'aumpth'

Does it count?!(lighthearted!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now