colours at 3y?

(7 Posts)
MousyMouse Sat 30-Mar-13 12:36:50

dc is 3 and a bit.
talks well never shuts up and likes painting/colouring.
seems to mix up blue and green quite a bit, not when painting (still at the messy crissycrossy stage) but when talking. will guess when I show a pen/object and ask what colour it is.
is that still normal for that age or should I go to an optician?

MousyMouse Sat 30-Mar-13 13:35:12

bump

oddslippers Sat 30-Mar-13 13:38:50

I would say it's quite normal, he'll get then more consistently right as he gets older. Blue/green confusion wouldn't be an indicator of colour blindness.

Ishtar2410 Sat 30-Mar-13 13:44:31

We had this with DS last year (he was 3 at the time)I checked with the optician who gave him a full eye test, including colour blindness check and all was fine. He had a follow up six months later and no change - all still ok.

Optician said he was probably just getting colours confused.

MousyMouse Sat 30-Mar-13 14:08:34

thanks
we have a book with a few of those dotty green/red pictures which dc can see well.

simplesusan Sat 30-Mar-13 17:37:40

Is it red and blue which colourblindness confuses? Not 100% sure but think that is the case.

ChunkyEasterChick Sat 30-Mar-13 17:42:29

My DD is 3 in a few wks & used to do this. Now she confuses yellow & red confused.

Its red & green that are the 2 colours that cannot be distinguished in the most comment type of colour blindness. If you're still concerned, you can find colour blindness images online. Just Google colour-blindness animal tests or similar. As long as your DS knows his animals, that should work smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now