Enraged at 4 year old who wakes 5x per night

(7 Posts)
fertilityagogo Fri 29-Mar-13 01:16:52

Laying here with blood boiling.

He's not scared (despite saying he is), just bored and laying there moaning for me/dh.

He does this every night and I'm going insane.

No big life changes afoot, he's not unwell.

I go in, pull up covers, leave more or less immediately. Although lately I'm getting more and more angry with him.

Please help...

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 29-Mar-13 01:20:14

cant help but do sympathise totally. I am also here blood boiling because ds will not let go of my boob and hasnt since 930pm. every time I move he wakea and screams. I now have 3 d s in bed with me as he has woken all. I feel you pain. it is a form of torture, sleep deprivation, it really is.

cloudhands Fri 29-Mar-13 06:13:04

Oh my that sounds tough, especially at age 5.
this article helped me understand why children wake and what to do about it . Helping young children Sleep

galwaygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 06:43:28

I just read the No Cry Sleep Solution for toddlers and preschoolers yesterday as I have another non-sleeper although a lot younger and it surprised me to read that everyone wakes about 5 times a night and that the key is helping them be able to get back to sleep themselves.
There were lots of good ideas in the book, we are only about to start trying them but maybe something like this could help?

BedHanger Fri 29-Mar-13 06:57:16

Sympathies. My 2.5yo is a crap sleeper and him plus newborn is testing us all.

You say he's not ill, but have you ruled out medical issues for the frequent waking? I'm planning an elimination diet with mine just to check it isn't something like food sensitivities keeping him awake.

If not, then we are planning on using a sleep clinic like Millpond. Expensive, but I'd currently sell my firstborn wink for a decent night's sleep.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 29-Mar-13 12:06:21

I let my 5 year old into my bed. It's the only way.

Iggly Fri 29-Mar-13 16:22:40

How do you know he's not scared? I remember lying there scared at a similar age.

What about a night light for him? Star chart to bribe him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now