Full nights sleep.???

(12 Posts)
ethansmummy2012 Wed 20-Mar-13 06:07:13

My DS has recently turned one and has yet to sleep right through the night at home.

However when he sleeps at nanny's or grandma's house I get glowing reports that he either slept straight through or woke looking for his dummy.

Anybody else experiencing this similar problem? I feel like a zombie sometimessad sad

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. smile smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 20-Mar-13 09:09:52

At 12 months this is totally normal, in fact over half of all babies still wake at 12 months, see here.

Think that the Isis website is probably a good place for you to start and have you read Sound Sleep by Sarah Woodhouse?

ethansmummy2012 Wed 20-Mar-13 13:52:54

Thank you smile

tazmo Wed 20-Mar-13 14:42:37

It depends what u call afull nights sleep? Some would say 5 hours is a full nights sleep : o )

There r so many factors with babies. Whether they are warm enough, whether fussy about dirty bums, teething, amount of light etc! Also how's much sleep mum needs versus your parents! My kids slept thru from about 9 weeks. Started with about 6 hours and then up to twelve. Mine are late teethers so we enjoyed good night sleep from 9 weeks to 7 months........... Then the teething starts.......... 8 month old is waking up twice a night right now. About midnight and about 5 am! It does get better........

T

Indith Wed 20-Mar-13 14:47:00

A full night of what now?

They do it to spite us grin. I know plenty of children who sleep perfectly well for grandparents but wake to be fed at home. And of course all children are different. Same parenting, same way of doing bedtime and nights etc. Dc1 slept 13 hours a night every night unless ill from 5/6 months. Dc2 slept through on a semi regular basis from around 3 ish and got a little more reliable around 3 and a half. A little more! Dcc3 is 1 now and hardly ever sleeps more than a couple of hours at a time.

ethansmummy2012 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:58:22

I fear its my own fault and that I've made a rod for my own back by letting DS have nap time on my bed with me.

I've probably confused him. sad

PoppyWearer Wed 20-Mar-13 22:04:45

Personally when grandparents have reported to me that my DCs have slept through...I don't believe them. I just think they don't hear my DCs. I hear every single whinge and moan and cough!

My DC2 is 19mo and I think he has slept through once in his life. He has food allergies, I believe, which give him a lot of trapped wind, which makes him whinge a lot at night. He also suffers with teething far more that his big sister did.

DC1 started sleeping through at 12mo (there is hope!) then that stopped again at 18mo until we sleep-trained her at 2.6yo. However she is now 4yo and frequently wakes at night and comes to us (4 out of 7 nights).

My MIL tried to claim that both my DCs slept through a year ago when she had them for a night, and I simply Do Not Believe Her. I do believe that they went to bed faster though.

I think I just have bad sleepers. DH and I aren't great sleepers either, TBH. <shrug>

kingbeat23 Wed 20-Mar-13 22:07:25

My dd has only just started sleeping through and she's nearly 4! shock There is light at the end of the tunnel it's just very sleep deprived.

All I have to offer is dont worry, it does happen some sooner than later.

ethansmummy2012 Thu 21-Mar-13 12:28:37

Many thanks all smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 21-Mar-13 12:43:24

Don't think you've made a rod for your own back but if you think that napping in your bed us an issue, why not try Lo somewhere else in the day? How many naps is he having btw? Has he moved to one yet?

candr Fri 22-Mar-13 20:31:09

Try moving nap to sofa if it is so you can curl up together. My DS is 18m and has slept through maybe 5 times so far (have never left him for night though) I did co sleep which did not help but was too tired to do anything else as had no night time support. They all get there eventually - do what works best for you.

ethansmummy2012 Fri 22-Mar-13 21:25:59

DS only has one nap per day (usually between 11am & 1pm) depending on the amount of sleep he's had during the night. He's usually ready for bed come 7pm but then wakws frequently during the night. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now