ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Advice on 8 year old behaviour thank you

(7 Posts)
lotti37 Tue 19-Mar-13 22:31:57

Hello

My 8 year old has recently been saying he is not well and can he stay off school a lot recently. He has had quite a few days off in the last few weeks through genuine sickness. I don't know why he is saying he is not well all the time. I think he worries a lot .

He is quite a singular boy and like his own company. At lunchtime he likes to go to the library or other clubs rather than play outside. We have said to him that he needs to play outside with the other boys. He does football after school but absolutely hates it. My husband wants to encourage him into team sports to help make him more of a team player. He plays rugby which he enjoys. He has a couple of good friends in the class but we want to help bring himself out of his shell to make him less shy . Any advice

It's his birthday soon and my husband thinks he should have a big birthday party . Do you think that will make a difference to make him mor popular?

Would appreciate your thoughts advice. Thank you in advance!

Have you asked him what kind of celebration he wants?

GLady Tue 19-Mar-13 22:47:08

What would he like to do for his birthday?

You said he has a couple of good friends, maybe something planned with them would be nice

Wolfiefan Tue 19-Mar-13 22:53:46

Why does he do football if he hates it?
Birthday parties are not about making kids popular. Ask him what he wants.
A few good friends can be worth their weight in gold.
If you are concerned about his social skills then why not invite friends over or sign him up for an activity he will enjoy?

beansmum Tue 19-Mar-13 22:54:05

Ask him what he wants. At 8 he's certainly old enough to be consulted about birthday parties. (And about whether he wants to play football).

Having a big party won't make him more popular. And not having one won't make him unpopular. Anyway, why does it matter if he's not popular if he has a couple of good friends?

AnnIonicIsoTronic Tue 19-Mar-13 22:57:55

No - not a big party.Terrible idea. Pizza with one r two close friends - ideally where you know the parents well enough to be 100% sure of attendance.

VerySmallSqueak Tue 19-Mar-13 22:59:10

I think some of us are happy with our own company or with a few good friends.
Perhaps he doesn't want/need to be the life and soul of the party.
We're all different and it's not a failing to be a little less gregarious than some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now