URGENT HELP PLEASE - taking away the dreaded dummy

(9 Posts)
umiaisha Tue 19-Mar-13 19:15:10

DS is 2. We have been phasing out his dummy and for the last few weeks he has only been having it at night time.

Tonight we decided to get rid of it completely. We have done the whole dummy fairy thing although I am not sure how much of it he understood. He has been crying in bed for about 40 mins now and I have been popping in every now again and patting his back putting his covers back on etc. Should I be doing this or more? Or just leaving him to cry it out?

Thanks!

Just my opinion but I don't see any harm in a 2yo having a dummy in bed. Daytime, no way. But 2 is tiny still and I think such a difficult stage of development. If you don't think getting rid is right, then don't. My first child didn't ever have a dummy so I was a bit anti really but my DD is 2.5 and yep, gas a dummy at night.

However its your call and I'm sure he will be fine without it too, if you want to keep going.

Sorry I misread your 2nd para, I thought you were unsure in general - i'd keep going in but am clearly a softy. All you can do is reassure, but I would think cio would be quiteconfusing on top of not having a dummy. He'll sleep eventually! smile

YoungJoseph Tue 19-Mar-13 19:23:40

Encourage a new comfort thing such as a cuddly toy perhaps?

MERLYPUSS Tue 19-Mar-13 19:34:35

Could you not leave a cuddly as a present from the dummy fairy? I was a hard bastard and took ours away before they started to get teeth. )Took about half an hour of grizzling.) DT2 is now adicted to cuddlies and has 4 every night. Only 2 are allowed on holiday though.

umiaisha Tue 19-Mar-13 19:42:45

Thanks all. After a performance straight out of the Exorcist he fell asleep about 15 mins ago!

Love the idea of a new comforter, will get one tomorrow as he has a car from the Dummy Fairy

CookieB Tue 19-Mar-13 20:38:54

My ds was a total dummy addict and would carry around 3 at a time at age 2. When I started weaning him I would let him have 1 at night but he woke at 3am at some point during this period and no dummies could be found for some mystical reason?!? Faced with a trip to the 24 hr petrol station I just thought 'fuck it'. No more from then on. Cold turkey meant 2 nights of crying but was completely worth it. He did eye up other children's til around age 3 I'm sure!

tazmo Tue 19-Mar-13 21:32:46

My son gave his to the Easter bunny when he was 2.5 yrs. he was so good and only asked for it when he was hurt or upset but we tried to distract with something else he loved! Am going to take dummy off my 9 month old ASAP!

tazmo Tue 19-Mar-13 21:33:15

Ps I qualify he got eggs in place of his dummies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now