11 month old not babbling

(7 Posts)
Peagle Tue 19-Mar-13 16:53:47

Hi,
I am just looking for some advice/reassurance really.

My 11 month old
doesn't make any noise (talking noise - she is good at crying and
screaming as they all are!) apart from a sort of grunting noise or a
high pitched scream, no noises that involve her having to use her tongue
to form different sounds.

Is this something I should worry about?! All the other babies around us
seem to be babbling away and saying their first words and there is still
nothing from her.

She was tongue tied when she was born and although I took her to two
doctors, a midwife and a health visitor as I was convinced she was
tongue tied it was not noticed until she was 6 weeks, we then had it cut
straight away as it was causing lots of problems when feeding (which
unfortunately never got better and I had to change her on to a bottle at
12 weeks) Do you think this could be part of the cause?

Is there anything I should be doing? Or should I just wait?! If I just wait at what point should I do something about it?

Sorry for going on!

ZuleikaD Tue 19-Mar-13 17:23:35

Have you had any combinations of vowel/consonant sounds such as ah-goo? Some babies just aren't very chatty, but if there are no 'noises' then it might be worth getting checked out.

Also, how's her eating? She's not still having purees, is she? Having to move food around their mouths is one of the best things to exercise the tongue, which is a muscle after all.

LeonardoAcropolis Tue 19-Mar-13 18:18:18

Does her hearing seem ok?

Peagle Tue 19-Mar-13 19:52:29

Thanks guys, no combination of vowels/consonants at all, she makes lots of open mouth squealing noises and is very good at letting us know when she wants something by making a noise but nothing that is the forming of letters.

She has been on mush until a few days ago when she refused the spoon totally so is now on real food.

Hearing is fine, she can hear us alright, whether she chooses to listen is a different thing altogether!

Do you think I should take her to see someone?

Vivienne52 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:58:55

Is she very active? My dd didn't talk for a while, maybe 15 months now she not shut up! She walked early nd was always very busy. My ds is following suit. He is one next week and not babbling yet.

Peagle Tue 19-Mar-13 20:49:42

That's made me feel so much better smile, she is VERY active. All over the place, and has just started walking. Do you think she is just concentrating on the physical stuff?

ZuleikaD Wed 20-Mar-13 06:13:15

It is often either walking or talking, not both. And sometimes they'll stop doing something altogether for a month or two while they concentrate on acquiring a new skill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now