I think I did this wrong....what should I have done?

(9 Posts)
AllDirections Wed 20-Mar-13 19:31:05

I give DD3 (6) a warning that she needs to eat it straight away or it will go soggy, then at least she can make a choice.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 20-Mar-13 19:26:50

You did right....she needs to sit down straight away. Perhaps a warning next time? Sit down now or they will go soggy...or put a jug of milk by her bowl and she can pour herself.

I would have done exactly the same! I do the jug thing too though, so much easier than arguing!

VenetiaLanyon Tue 19-Mar-13 09:48:38

Thanks for your views, everyone; I really thought that I'd done it all wrong.

Perhaps I'm just feeling a little bit flat about things as I hate starting the day with tears and tantrums.

The jug idea is a good one, Seeker. Will be doing this tomorrow...

seeker Tue 19-Mar-13 09:42:38

I think you did the right thing- but I also think you should, from now on, let her put her own milk on. Ds went through a phase of being very particular about how he liked his cereal, so I used to put milk in a little jug ( previously only used for little bunches of flowers!) and let him do it himself.

Mama1980 Tue 19-Mar-13 09:40:46

Tbh I think you did exactly the right thing, its what I would have done.

Catchingmockingbirds Tue 19-Mar-13 09:40:17

I would hav done the same, I think you handled it fine.

wannabeEostregoddess Tue 19-Mar-13 09:39:18

I think you did the right thing.

VenetiaLanyon Tue 19-Mar-13 09:37:34

History: DD (5) has usually objected to soggy weetabix, but a couple of weeks ago announced that she liked them both crispy and soggy now that she's older.

This morning: I put milk on her weetabix and she didn't sit down to eat it straight away and so it went soggy. We then had tears and a tantrum with DD saying that she wasn't going to eat it and that I had to get her another breakfast.

I remained calm but said that I wasn't going to waste food, that she'd told me recently that she liked Weetabix soggy, and that she could either eat the breakfast or, if she didn't want to, she could leave it and just drink her milk.

After many tears and a bit of shouting and stamping , and asking for a new breakfast, she eventually ate a little bit of the breakfast (as long as I agreed not to look at her).

I feel that I backed myself into a corner here and "couldn't" give in for fear of not being consistent and losing control.

I feel bad about this now, even though I didn't shout or lose my temper, and we went to school on good terms. What would you have done differently? Should I just have given her another breakfast?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now