What age should babies be able to get into sitting position?

(15 Posts)

DS is 9 months and not able to. He can do a lot of other things and get about (not crawling though) but not this.

LowLevelWhinging Thu 14-Mar-13 12:41:06

my DD is 9 months and able to sit fairly solidly but there's no way she can get into a sittin position (or roll over for that matter).

No idea how typical she is.

ZuleikaD Thu 14-Mar-13 13:49:54

Getting into a sitting position is hard, and it's not a developmental marker so I wouldn't worry. Presumably he can sit up well without being propped?

Oh yes. He can sit up if I put him there.

Mehrida Thu 14-Mar-13 16:17:15

My DS is nearly 10m and has just started doing it today (v excited!) Until now he has shown no interest whatsoever in crawling/bum shuffling/anything other than sitting like the King of all he surveys so I guess when they decide they want to do it they just do it! It didn't cross my mind to worry about it, I think they just all go at their own wee paces.

MrsDonnieDarko Thu 14-Mar-13 20:33:24

Well this is really variable as you've probably found out by now. DS1 could do it at 8.5 months. DS2 only did it about 2 days after his first birthday so it's massively different from child to child. I would say DS1 was probably fairly early doing it whereas DS2 was towards the later end of the scale but either way they'll do it when they're ready!

artifarti Fri 15-Mar-13 14:17:13

DS2 is 11.5 months and still can't do it. He is a bum-shuffler though and has always hated being on his back or front with a passion. He only discovered bum-shuffling at 9 months and rolling both ways at 10 months. He seems to do everything in his own time. DS1 I can't remember at all whoops.

bruffin Fri 15-Mar-13 14:23:59

My ds could walk (10 months) before he could get into sitting position. He never crawled properly, just dragged himself round the floor then pulled himself up to standing.

Weightlessbaby Sat 16-Mar-13 00:29:40

DD hated to be on her tummy and just sat until 11 months. Then in the space of a week she started commando crawling, sitting from tummy and back, then proper crawling.

Thanks all.

Ds does that bruffin. He's like a super fast snake.

SolomanDaisy Sat 16-Mar-13 14:50:48

I can't remember how old DS was, was but I do remember that it was really sudden. I had no idea he was close to being able to do it and had never seen him try, then one day he just could! Weird, because so many other things you see them trying for ages. I think if they can roll and sit, it's more about them realising how to do it than needing to develop physically.

LeBFG Sat 16-Mar-13 15:41:34

Yes, just about to say that my DS did this just before crawling at 9.5mo. I think it involves similar muscles. As not all babies crawl, not all babies will pull self to sitting I suppose.

DD was 13mo - I was trying to wrestle her into a pair of tights to go to my friend's DS's first birthday party, and 'flip', there she was, sitting up.

duchesse Sat 16-Mar-13 17:17:01

About 8 months for all four of em. The first three all walked independently at 10 months though, the fourth at 12 months on the nose (although she cruised from 9 mo), so I think they might be more physical than the average.

lljkk Sat 16-Mar-13 17:19:47

DS1 could pull himself to standing with no help and stay standing (independently, usually shaking a toy) for about 6 weeks before he could sit. Never practised the sitting thing, I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now