My son needs pottery training, sleep training and bloody food 'training' WWYD first

(86 Posts)
TheSecondComing Sat 09-Mar-13 22:01:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Sun 10-Mar-13 17:26:37

I don't think there is any harm in trying to resettle him in the middle of the night, with clear rules that it is not time for play. He needs to learn that you need your space and he his. Going to your bed is a habit not a need initially. Does he get out enough in the day time to wear him out, do you get a break ?

Faxthatpam Sun 10-Mar-13 17:33:36

Feel for you - sleep first definitely! Sleep deprivation will send you insane.

I used a fixed gate he couldn't open - that you had to climb over. Then gradual withdrawal. I have to say this worked for a bit but not in the end. He was different to yours tho and actually just wanted to be in with his brother. It's definitely worth a try. Be strong, he needs sleep and so do you.

Good luck - here's some thanks and some wine.

fififrog Sun 10-Mar-13 17:37:18

I know nothing... On the scale of things! But I have a fussy eating 2 yr old and I can tell you that I am much less stressed at meal times now I try not to let it get to me. If we have something new I try to make sure there's somethin she likes on the plate too. If she tries dinner and doesn't like it she can have some bread and butter. I always give her pudding (ie yoghurt or fruit or her current fav

Chandon Sun 10-Mar-13 17:40:39

Yes, bed first.

I remember taking DS back to his room 20 times in a row one night.

Not much talking, not much anger, just a very sinple: "you sleep in your own bed, night night." repeat ad infinitum.

Problem is, if you even give in once, Eg when he is poorly or you are having a weak moment, you will be back at square one. It pays to be consistent. They get the message.

Agree with Beamur about no snacks or attention at night. There is plenty of time for that in the day time.

The potty training does not sound bad, imo, sounds as if he is almost ready, and think dad should maybe take that one on, when he is around.

Good luck!

fififrog Sun 10-Mar-13 17:41:18

Sorry iPod.... Favourite fruit purée.

The less fuss made the better. Things are improving re mealtimes being less stressful. I really second the recommendation for "my child won't eat" - I just read it yesterday after seeing recommended here and I think it's a great book, for the epilogue alone if nothing else!

Also I think you've answered your own q re which to do first - sleep - but it does sound a possibility the mess are messing things up so please don't be too harsh on the poor little mite!

fififrog Sun 10-Mar-13 17:42:30

Meds not mess - not doing so well today am I??!

seeker Sun 10-Mar-13 18:23:15

I'm sorry, thesecondcoming, that wasn't helpful, was it? I suppose my view is always coloured by the fact that mine always crashed out instantly and stayed that way if they were in our bed.

If he doesn't sleep even in your bed, I second sorting his medicine out. And LOADS of carb heavy food. Doesn't matter what, so long as he'll eat it.

duchesse Sun 10-Mar-13 18:27:53

To answer OP, frankly I would deal with sleep first, then food, then potty.

If he starts sleeping properly, so will you. He'll be less tired and more amenable to the other things, and you'll be better rested to tackle the challenges they bring!

duchesse Sun 10-Mar-13 18:29:49

Oh, and are you giving him a good vitamin supplement? Being deficient in certain nutrients could be at the root of quite a lot of things.

duchesse Sun 10-Mar-13 18:32:37

Sorry, hadn't picked up that he's on strong steroids for asthma. DD3 was even more wired than usual when she was on those. What happens if you take him off them entirely? Does he start having lots of attacks? Interestingly DD3 is now 3.6 and appears to have stopped being so asthmatic. She hasn't had any puffs for months now. Her eczema has also mostly cleared up. [hopeful emoticon]

TheSecondComing Sun 10-Mar-13 19:36:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now