Group 1 car seats- my 4mo is nearly recommended weight :-s

(19 Posts)
mummy2lola Fri 08-Mar-13 19:53:01

Hi there,
I'm a but confused about the group 1 fowArd facing car seats. I already have this stage car seat & 4 month old dd is currently In rear facing maxi cosy. The recommended weight for our next stage car seat is 19lbs & dd is already 14lbs and gaining fast lately. She's looking too scrunched up in her rear facing car seat, so do I put her in the next stage when she's 19lbs?? A bit confused. If any

WickWackThurso Fri 08-Mar-13 19:57:38

No, you should not put a 4 month old ff. Dd (75th centile) was in her first rf maxi-cosi until she was 15 months.

I recommend you look at extended rf seats, such as tge BeSafe Izi combi, the britax two way elite or the Klippan Triofix. Rear facing is the safest way for babies/children to travel. Do not rush to get her ff.

BikeRunSki Fri 08-Mar-13 20:05:17

She is still 5lb off the weight limit, and her growth rate will slow down a lot at around 6 months. Keep her in her infant seat as long as you can. Have you taken the foam wedge out from underneath?

nextphase Fri 08-Mar-13 20:09:28

Nearly all first stage seats go to 13kg (28lb?).

Please, please please keep her in this seat as long as possible. Just because you hit the min weight for the next seat doesn't mean you need to use it. Keep her in the current seat til she reaches the max weight or her ears reach the top of the seat.

MortifiedAdams Fri 08-Mar-13 20:13:37

Do.not ff her yet. She is far too little.

Only move her out.of her rf seat once her scalp goes.above the back.of the seat.

I still rf dd now in am extended rear.facing seat and she is 15mo. She.will be in it til at least 3yo.

RiaBlossom Fri 08-Mar-13 20:20:25

Being scrunched up is really irrelevant, babies are much more flexible than adults, there legs can be crossed over. I have a 14 month old in a infant carrier with no complaints.

No - she should stay in the first stage seat until she gets too heavy for it.

Don't whatever you do put her in a forward facing seat yet! It could be very dangerous in a crash.

saldoozer Fri 08-Mar-13 20:40:11

There is a foam wedge in the bottom of a lot of car seats if you take it out there will be a lot more room. Also have you taken the head cushion out?

BertieBotts Fri 08-Mar-13 22:45:59

19lb (9kg) is just the minimum weight you can put them into that seat. I agree it's mad when some babies reach that at 4 months!

Keep her in the baby one until she reaches the maximum - there will be an overlap. Usually the maximum is 13kg (28lb) as someone said above, but it will be stamped on the underside of your car seat or written in the instructions.

I sympathise, DS was looking scrunched up at that age but we have just bought a new car seat now at 8 months. He is on the 91st centile and has a long body and wide shoulders so was really uncomfortable and needed to move at 10kg. However....we bought another rear facing seat and has solved the problems. It's much safer for them to stay rear facing, they don't need to forward face, this car seat (britax 2 way elite) will last until he is 25kg!

woopsidaisy Sun 10-Mar-13 13:55:21

All mine were big. DS3 is nearly 22 lbs- he is 6 mo. he will stay in 1st seat until cant squeeze him in at all. So much safer.

mummy2lola Sun 10-Mar-13 18:06:03

Thanks for your replies- I've taken the head rest out, but didn't now about a foam insert- ill have a look- its a maxi cosy rf seat. She just seems uncomfortable in her rf now, but her safety is my main concern . X

MinnesotaNice Sun 10-Mar-13 18:17:01

Here some info on how rear-facing is safer:
www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

I kept my DS1 rfing until he was 3 yrs and 10 mos and only turned him then due to the fact that we couldn't get a good install when we moved here to the UK since the seat belts work differently. I was aiming for rfing until 4 yrs but wasn't going to buy another car seat for a couple of months. DS2 is 2 yrs and 4 mos and still happily rfing in his seat.

SweepTheHalls Sun 10-Mar-13 18:21:11

You can get group 0 /1 seats, so they have a bit more room, so you can keep rear facing for longer. That worked for us without breaking the bank

FierceBadIggi Sun 10-Mar-13 18:30:00

I have a maxi-cosi - if you took out the whole head rest bit (curved bit and cloth going right under his bum) that's the bit where the foam is. Makes a massive difference to space. My 10 month old is still in his.

FierceBadIggi Sun 10-Mar-13 18:30:47

Sorry, her

Rowgtfc72 Mon 11-Mar-13 19:24:33

Pretty sure dd was in a ff seat at eight months. Her head stuck right out the top of it with all the hidden extras removed. We kept her in it as long as we could. We now have a 123 seat and are struggling to wedge her in that (eight centimetres off legal height to not need a seat). Shes six. I dont like seperate boosters prefer the ones with the headrest so she shall remain wedged !

BertieBotts Mon 11-Mar-13 20:11:30

You need to take coats off in car seats too if it's the coat that's making her bulky. You can keep them warm with blankets etc.

Tobyturtle Tue 12-Mar-13 14:17:57

My DS turned 4 months today and 2 weeks ago he was already 15lb 13oz!!! We have just taken out the headrest in the maxi cosi seat and will take the wedge out from beneath his bum soon I imagine! Don't rush to put her in the next size, they really slow down on their weight gain now and so she probably won't reach 19lb for a while!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now