Baby not interested in faces

(10 Posts)
Eurydicereturns Thu 07-Mar-13 19:13:45

Does anyone have any experience of this? I know a baby (not mine!) who is 10 months old now, seems to have good vision but is really not interested in looking at faces. She isn't even interested in her mum's face really and does none of that eye contact stuff you usually get with babies.

Any thoughts, anyone?

sherbetpips Fri 08-Mar-13 13:23:05

TV tells me (and therefore hardly fact) that a baby that does not look at faces does so because the mother does no interact with them positively through facial expression. There was a dead interesting program once that showed a mum and baby like that. The mum was then given specific exercises to do involving smiling, playing and interacting with the baby (which up to this point she had very little feeling for/PND). Amazing change by the end!

40shadesofgreen Fri 08-Mar-13 13:26:24

I remember that program sherbetpips. It was about PND.

The baby would not look the mum in the eye at all at the beginning. It was very sad.

Have you ever felt the mum might be depressed Eurydicereturns?

Jaynebxl Fri 08-Mar-13 17:24:43

That's interesting indeed. But I don't think it is the case here. The baby gets lots of chat and interaction from mum, dad and big brother from what I've seen. I guess to be honest I'm wondering about autism but firstly I know lack of eye contact is not always an indicator plus I have no idea if it would be evident at such a young age, so I'm wondering what else it could be. Thanks for your replies though.

wordyBird Fri 08-Mar-13 22:32:56

...yes, I have seen that. Now, please view what I say with great caution: but in this case - many years later - a mild form of ASD was diagnosed.

Whereas average babies are interested in faces, and are happy to poke your nose and pull at your buttons, this little one would simply look up, above your head. There were other, small things, of course, though nothing clear cut.

Jaynebxl Fri 08-Mar-13 23:49:45

Thanks for the reply, wordy. Very interesting.

Jaynebxl Sat 09-Mar-13 06:07:17

Oops, note to self, when you name change to keep professional anonymity, remember to be consistent! Shows I've never name changed before!

MrsJamin Sat 09-Mar-13 06:25:17

It would make me think of autism as well but I am not sure you can do anything with your suspicions in terms of sharing them with the parents? I have often heard parents say they think other people's children are autistic and in the end they are just different to their own children. The only thing you can do is to wait and see. Perhaps you were going to keep this to yourself anyway but I just thought I would say!

insanityscratching Sat 09-Mar-13 06:31:07

Yes ds was just the same he preferred lights initially and then objects that spun, he has autism. Dd on the other hand was a happy child who gazed at me from birth, she too has autism.

Jaynebxl Sat 09-Mar-13 23:45:17

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely not planning on saying anything but I will watch and see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now