4 month old teething- canines first....advice needed!!,

(14 Posts)
SandyChick Tue 12-Mar-13 11:15:50

The toothbrush teether sounds good.
My ds loves to have a good chew on his normal toothbrush after he's had his teeth brushed.

MrsSmith87 Mon 11-Mar-13 17:02:28

There is a chewable toothbrush that really helps with teething, by a company called brush baby, We got ours in Sainsburys but I think you can get them in boots now, it is a toothbrush/teether but DS really loved chewing on the little rubbery bristles when he was teething, especially the sides and back teeth that he couldn't reach with his other teethers. and can go in the fridge to!

MrsSmith87 Mon 11-Mar-13 17:02:03

There is a chewable toothbrush that really helps with teething, by a company called brush baby, We got ours in Sainsburys but I think you can get them in boots now, it is a toothbrush/teether but DS really loved chewing on the little rubbery bristles when he was teething, especially the sides and back teeth that he couldn't reach with his other teethers. and can go in the fridge to!

Mehrida Mon 11-Mar-13 10:22:32

We use Dentinox teething gel. It's the only thing that comes close to relieving DS's pain. None of the other gels or calpols seem to work.

I licked my finger after the first time I put it on him and couldn't feel my tongue for a good few minutes afterwards so it must be strong on a baby!

Oh and his teeth are appearing in a funny order too so don't worry about that.

SandyChick Sat 09-Mar-13 23:21:32

My ds's (now 11months) canines came through first at around 5 months. Then bottom front 2 followed by top front 2. He tends to get 2 at the same time.

He is really suffering with teething. Much more than ds 1 ever did. We do the whole bonjela or anbesol, teething powders etc. I find regular ibuprofen & calpol the only thing that makes a difference really tho.

Also food that he can have a good chew on. He loves melon and mango finders from the fridge.

Just before a tooth comes through he won't have a spoon near him so lots of food he can feed himself. He liked the pouches of fruit purée from fridge too.

His canines were by far the worst. He has 2 just about through the gum on the bottom which are really bothering him right now confused.

mummy2lola Wed 06-Mar-13 20:09:44

She's 4 months now....how long until they actually come through? I'm just worried ow long she will be in such discomfort....it's making her so upset & I spent 10 mins of my day pulling over in a lay by for a good cry today because I can't stop her screaming, for an hour on end full pelt. Poor dd :-(

stitchNting Tue 05-Mar-13 21:09:42

If it' any consolation my DD had her bottom two at 4 months followed by what appeared to be her canines. Well, they looked like the canines but the front teeth are so much larger once they come through. So they were actually the ones either side of middle front. We had a Dracula baby for a few weeks. The other teeth have come through without too much bother but those Drac fangs seemed to bother her the most. Our HV was a bit miffed that they hadn't come through "in order"...

We used Calpol and ibuprofen in alternate doses and Ashton and Parsons powder followed with a dog's teething toy! grin

mummy2lola Tue 05-Mar-13 20:40:08

It's defo not thrush either, as both myself & hv checked her mouth, tongue, saliva etc & no symptoms of thrush- seems like dd is unlucky and has teeth emerging in the wrong order confused sounds painful

Sore bottom goes with thrush as Iggly says. Get someone to check her mouth for white patches?

ceeveebee Tue 05-Mar-13 20:36:30

I swear by Anbesol gel, much better than Bongela

At 3 months my DDs gums were all hard and white where her canines and molars will be, but they haven't come yet - her bottom front and top front came through first and at 15 mo she still only has those .

mummy2lola Tue 05-Mar-13 20:26:38

Hi there- the calpol does ease it, which is some help, but I only give it when it's very bad. There is no sleep regression at all, which is good, but hv says its teething, & my god, the sore bottom she has seems to indicate that too. Seems to prefer her milk cold at the moment & seems to be in some discomfort sucking the teats of her bottle, causing her upset. Anything I can do to ease things? X

Iggly Tue 05-Mar-13 20:08:24

Are you sure it's not thrush?

Also 4 months is a time for sleep regressions etc so I wouldn't put it all down to teething

Usually it's the bottom front two which come through first. Not a baby expert, but I've never seen a baby with canines coming through first. Fist chewing with associated drooling is also a perfectly normal developmental/exploratory phase which is often mistaken for teething. My DS was extremely fussy at four months, related to developmental leaping and associated sleep disturbances. If she likes chewing on things (which 99.9% of four months old do!) that's fine, but maybe let up on the Calpol/ibuprofen if it's not making a difference as it may not be teeth bothering her, and you wouldn't want to unnecessarily be giving her those meds.

mummy2lola Tue 05-Mar-13 18:43:25

Hi there,
Need a bit of advice if possible. My 4 month old dd is teething, and it appears that her canines are coming through first- there's no sign of front teeth. This is rather early isn't it? The canines, top and bottom are very white, and when I feel in dds mouth with my finger and Bonilla, they feel very hard when she bites down.

I've purchased every teething product under the sun, from water filled tether, teething granules, teething dummies, and teething toys. I've even got chopped carrot batons in the fridge to soothe, but nothing seems to work, and she seems to just prefer to gnaw on her little fists, and is clearly in discomfort. I'm giving her the ibuprofen calpol, as I've heard this is better than calpol for teething.

Any advice on how I ease her discomfort- when her teeth are bitching her she's like a different baby.....screaming like she's being murdered, not my smily happy girl- it's horrible and I feel so helpless.

If anybody has any tips, I'd be so great duo, and also would be interested to hear from anybody who's little one tether so early, and if their canines make through before the front ones.
She's usually a brilliant baby, ff and sleeping 10-12 hours a night,model eloping brilliantly, I just wish I could help her with her toothy pegs, bless her.

Look foward to hearing from other mums and their wits end over teething.
Xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now