Do I need a double buggy?

(12 Posts)
livealoha Tue 05-Mar-13 15:56:43

I have a phil and teds - second hand with the double kit.

Only use as a double when know I will be walking a long way but we live in the country and have a dog so it's great to have options on long walks or if we go in to town and I know I need to spend some time shopping.

I wouldn't be without the options it gives me.

Second hand it cost me 100 pounds and I hope to get the same back when I sell on.

whyno Tue 05-Mar-13 15:38:37

So helpful thanks! Will try without. Issima you made me laugh! grin

weegiemum Tue 05-Mar-13 15:09:21

Mine are huge now but my experience was this:

When ds was born, dd1 was 24 months. I pushed her in the buggy with him in the sling (prior to being pg with ds, dd1 had gone everywhere in the bushbaby backpack). By the time ds was about 6 months we did buggy plus backpack. I got a lot of rural buses, which in practice were coaches - not easy with a double buggy.

When ds was 22 months, dd2 was born (yes I had 3 under 4). Then we were on to buggy (but dd1 would walk a lot), ds on buggy board an dd2 in sling/ backpack. Ds in buggy with board folded up when dd1 walking.

I never owned a double buggy and never felt I needed one. But our rural location and the fact I liked carrying them really helped.

We used buggies until dd2 was 7 as she had a hip condition (which we're just about to find out if it's totally better this week) so I really missed the buggy (for shopping!!) when she was declared it to walk!!

bigTillyMint Tue 05-Mar-13 15:00:41

There is 19months between mine.

At first we used a sling for DS, but as he got bigger, we got a second hand double buggy, mainly for taking DD to nursery 3 days a week. We passed it on after about 6months and got a buggyboard - as your age-gap is bigger, perhaps you could manage with a sling and then a buggyboard?

PhyllisDoris Tue 05-Mar-13 14:57:00

18 mths between my DDs. I didn't think it was worth spending money on a double buggy. I put the elder in push chair and baby in sling, or baby in pram and elder in back pack style carrier.
I used to feel sorry for people struggling with unwieldy double buggies.

issimma Tue 05-Mar-13 14:52:17

And don't do what I did in lunatic hormonal pg haze. I sold the single to fund the double. Excellent frugality. So then had to buy a single. Twat.

issimma Tue 05-Mar-13 14:50:43

We have one as it's a 20min walk to town and it's easier than ergo+single, esp post c-section. Having said that, I've been driving lots cos of the poor weather, so I'm sure we'd have coped without it. We got ours from boots - they had a 25% discount plus £50 worth of advantage points. Would be cross if had paid full price, esp as the toddler often refuses to go in it!

I have a side by side double buggy and it is a pain in the arse.
There is 2 1/2 years between my two and I bought a M&P Morph carrier and just push my toddler in the single pram. That means I dont take up the whole pavement/get wedged in shop doors/end up like Arnie pushing a heavy pram all day.

JimbosJetSet Tue 05-Mar-13 14:45:29

I have an Ergo too! It is just marvellous grin

JimbosJetSet Tue 05-Mar-13 14:44:23

My DD was 25 months when I had my 2nd DC. We tend to drive a lot but do short walks to the playground etc. We don't have a double buggy - DD walks or goes in the single buggy, and DC2 goes in a sling/carrier. DC2 is 5 months now and I have never once wished I had a double. As a disclaimer though, we don't walk long distances, and I have always preferred using a carrier to a buggy.
Good luck!

equiliteral Tue 05-Mar-13 14:41:36

Almost 2 and a half years between mine; although I bought a (second hand) double buggy, I actually hardly used it. Really only when my older DC was ill and I still needed to get out. Like you I live in the country and walk a lot, but found that my best solution was a combination of single buggy / Ergo carrier (they are great - I could easily carry my 2 year old if he got tired walking and DS2 was asleep in the buggy), and as DS1 got older he used his balance bike a lot too.

It helped that DS1 was / is a very good walker, but overall I think a double buggy with that kind of age gap is probably not necessary - at most I'd get a second hand one (or borrow one?) because you'll probably find that in a few months your older DC doesn't want or need to be in any sort of buggy. Lots of people recommend buggy boards too - I didn't use one because we mainly walk on off-road tracks, but if you'll be on pavements they look good.

whyno Tue 05-Mar-13 14:28:35

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post, I couldn't find anywhere more suitable.

I am due a new baby in August and my DS will be 2. We live in the country so tend to mostly drive places or go for walks with a back carrier or sometimes a buggy.

I'm wondering if I need to get a double buggy or if I can just carry the new baby in a carrier and have DS in a buggy when they both need to be contained. Has anyone found they needed / didn't need a double with a similar age gap?

Would really appreciate your thoughts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now