talk to me about August child ren - youngest in school year

(18 Posts)
cakebaby Sat 02-Mar-13 17:52:37

So, today MIL dropped in another gem, telling me I'd better keep my legs crossed & hope my DC is a week late and is Sept born.

Apparently I now have something else to worry about as the youngest kids in schools struggle to get places at their preferred school (does it work that the later born have last choice?!) and also struggle academically. What???!!!

I've realised Google is not my friend, but would be interested in other mnetters views.

cakebaby Sat 02-Mar-13 17:53:28

Stupid phone putting spaces in by itself.....grrrr....

exexpat Sat 02-Mar-13 18:01:51

Birth month has no impact at all on getting a school place - they are all allocated at the same time now (it might have been true years ago, but she's definitely out of date on that).

There are studies showing that on average summer-born children do slightly worse academically, but that is only one small factor in how children do at school - family support, genes, decent schools etc are all much more important, I think.

squiddle Sat 02-Mar-13 18:11:08

As a general rule it's better to be the oldest kid in the class rather than the youngest. My mum - teacher - worried about my dc being due in August too. But I was just really glad my dd arrived safely and was healthy. She is the youngest in her year but also one of the tallest and in the top groups. The only real effect was she seemed younger in reception and Y1 when it came to friendships - but that's fine now.

People say all sorts of crap when you are pg for the sake of something to say but it's so much healthier and happier to concentrate on the miracle of life.

If it's any help I was in your situation, DD was 15 days late and turns out to be tall and capable and may well have been better off in the year above. We also have to pay for an extra year of nursery. There are advantages each way.

iheartshoes Sat 02-Mar-13 18:14:13

I am an August baby and its never really caused me any problems, in fact was a benefit as when I dropped out of Uni I still had a year to play with when I was deciding what I wanted to do and was able to take some time out to consider

iheartshoes Sat 02-Mar-13 18:16:52

Should add that leaving Uni was nothing to do with my age ! In fact it was a positive for me, bought my own place at 23 , youngest of my friends to do so , so being an August baby definitely hasn't held me back smile

MrsMushroom Sat 02-Mar-13 18:17:55

Your MIL has it mixed up...your child's age has NO bearing on whether you get a place at school or not. Some people think younger kids struggle and they do in my opinion. I have one.

out2lunch Sat 02-Mar-13 18:21:34

dd was born 3 weeks early at the very end of august and had major health issues.she has always been absolutely fine at school and is now in yr 11 choosing her a level subjects.

lljkk Netherlands Sat 02-Mar-13 18:23:52

Entry used to be staggered, so that children started the term when they turned 5, maybe that's what she's thinking.

Maybe smile & ignore.

mathanxiety Sat 02-Mar-13 18:38:36

I have one August child. No problem getting into school, and no social problems as she is quite tall and developed for her age (11 now) plus she's my youngest and used to knocking around with the older ones, getting her sharp edges smoothed out with the general give and take.

However, she is almost a full year younger than some children in her class, and I think that made a difference for things like timed maths tests in the early years where she managed to live in complete denial of the clock and yet felt bad when she had to redo work. Maturity of attitude about homework has been slightly slower to develop than for my older DCs too - they have bdays earlier in the year. She seems unconcerned and able to blow important things off. I have yet to see a positive to this but maybe some day I will. Or maybe she will get her act together.

cakebaby Sat 02-Mar-13 18:39:23

Thanks ladies, seem to have fixed perma-grin these days, waiting for the next inane comment or old wives tale coming my way!

cakesonatrain Sat 02-Mar-13 20:09:08

DS is a late-July baby, and lots of people have mentioned this issue.
Despite being a massive worrier about everything, I have somehow managed to decide that there is absolutely chuff-all we can do about the time of year he was born so am not worrying about that.
Yet...

VinegarDrinker Sat 02-Mar-13 20:11:27

My birthday is August 31st. I did well at school and have what would be widely considered as a "successful" professional career.

PenelopePisstop Sat 02-Mar-13 20:13:04

Just asked DS (now 19) if he thought being an August baby (20th) had disadvantaged him at school. The answer is no ( and he looked at me like I was a bit mad).

We got him in first choice schools and the Secondary was 3 times over-subscribed. He got in.

Weissbier Sat 02-Mar-13 20:25:43

What cakes said.

I've got an August birthday, the only time it pissed me off was when everyone was learning to drive. Other than that always felt it was an advantage as it gives you more time with higher education options and all that, and I had no problems at school.

foxy6 Sat 02-Mar-13 20:33:44

My Dd is august baby and I worried but in all honesty she was more ready for school than My ds's who were April. She is 9 now and has no problems in school.

OddBoots Sat 02-Mar-13 20:44:04

August born children are much easier and cheaper for childcare before they start school and with most schools having a single September entry point an August child is at the front of the queue for a funded 3-year-old place at a pre-school.

My August baby is now 13 and top of his year group in several subjects. They're all different when it comes to learning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now