Talk to me about walking

(27 Posts)
SamraLee Mon 25-Feb-13 11:37:28

How did your little one start walking and when? What are the stages of walking and how long do they take? I know every child is different, I'd just like to hear your stories about when and how your child managed this big milestone!

MiaSparrow Tue 26-Feb-13 21:23:42

My DD also spent a lot of time in the old Jumperoo before she took her first unaided steps at 10 months (maybe 6 steps or something like that). We got all excited but then she suddenly had a growth spurt at the same time, put on some weight and I guess her balance was different so she didn't walk again for a good three weeks, so properly walking at nearer 11 months. Prior to this she loved having her push-along truck for a bit of independence.

DS was crawling pulling up on furniture, letting go and standing on his own for about 10 secs at 5 months. He didn't really cruise around furniture until after he took his first 3/4 steps at 6 months. He wasn't 'walking' confidently and independently until 7 months though. He didn't really cruise much at all, bit of a daredevil and preferred to just let go of furniture and see where walking on his own got him!

He's just turned 8 months and we have got him shoes in preparation for first outdoor walk but it's like learning to walk all over again, he's like bambi in them smile

He is also between 75th and 91st centile so don't think it's to do with weight. He's just super strong and really driven to do things. We tend to let him do most things on his own and not intervene/help so maybe he built up his confidence/strength doing that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now