Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Toddler teeth cleaning?

(14 Posts)
Possiblyoutedled Fri 22-Feb-13 18:26:48

Hi my dd is 2 and has so far hardly ever let a toothbrush in her mouth. I've tried novelty tooth brushes and paste and every trick to encourage her.
Has anyone got any tips. She's not a fan of sweet stuff but does eat a lot if fruit.

MSP1 Fri 22-Feb-13 18:36:22

Hi. DH (dentist) recommends electric toothbrush 'cos DC love them! Maybe the movement? Also much easier. win, win!

littlemefi Fri 22-Feb-13 18:41:27

Yes, I second electric toothbrushes! Dd aged 3 has a Barbie one that she chose, she hates minty toothpaste but likes Tesco one that is strawberry ice cream flavoured.
Is it worth letting her play with a toothbrush, let her do her teeth as you do yours and try to make it fun/a game?

KindleMum Fri 22-Feb-13 18:52:51

DD loves the pink Barbie disposable electric one - usually about £4-5. I think technically they're for 3+ but I use it on 2 yr old and dentist says it's fine.

Reward for letting you do her teeth properly?

hazeyjane Fri 22-Feb-13 18:54:48

I'm afraid I just get it in there and brush!

ceeveebee Fri 22-Feb-13 18:57:14

My 15 mo DD has hated teeth cleaning since we started at about 6 months old but I am afraid I still do it, tears or no tears. Recently she's got a bit better, if we brush her dolly's teeth first she seems a bit less traumatised by it

Possiblyoutedled Fri 22-Feb-13 18:58:41

Thanks I will defo get one tomorrow.
hazey she is my 5th child and believe me getting in there doesn't work she shuts her mouth tight and fights like mad. I was looking for an alternative to pin down grin

MiaSparrow Fri 22-Feb-13 19:24:28

I 'tickle' 2yo DD's teeth with her toothbrush and turn it into a game. Also, she has a book where Dora the Explorer goes to the dentist so she'll do anything to be like Dora. She is obsessed.

hazeyjane Sat 23-Feb-13 08:42:24

Aah, sorry possibly!

ds is my 3rd and my 2nd child to have awful acid reflux. dd1 (6) is about to have 2 teeth removed under general anaesthetic, so I am probably a bit over zealous about the tooth brushing issue!

Tee2072 Sat 23-Feb-13 08:46:38

Star chart works here. But the star is only for 'proper' brushing, or mummy brushing, sticking the brush in and just sucking off the paste does not count!

BikeRunSki Sat 23-Feb-13 08:50:55

Google "brush baby". Recommended to me by MN. it's fab.

buttercrumble Sat 23-Feb-13 08:52:03

I just had to pin mine down and get in and brush. They are 18 now and have never had a filling....

Possiblyoutedled Sat 23-Feb-13 08:52:37

hazey no it's fine wasn't being touchy grin my 5th child has challenged me in ways the others didn't. She is a feisty determined red head and frighteningly strong!! We are getting the extricating one today it's worth a try.

Salamanger Sat 23-Feb-13 10:38:32

This episode of Woolly and Tig is quite good.

We ask what song DD wants (we try to do something different from the usual nursery rhymes, mostly TV tunes, just now it's Momo's Rainbow from Show Me Show Me). If she shuts her mouth, the singing stops. We started with a song on IPad. We always do teeth on bed after nappy and PJs but before story. She knows the teeth have to be done before she gets story and milk!

If your DD is really not keen, maybe lots of time to play with toothbrush or silicone baby toothbrush just to get familiar with the feel of something on her teeth. We use green people toothpaste which has a lovely gently minty flavour, DD would eat a whole tube if she could. We always stop if she needs to swallow or starts to gag.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now