Dd is watch so much tv since having newborn

(10 Posts)
Cupcakemummy85 Fri 22-Feb-13 13:45:46

I feel so guilty about my dd 19 months watching so much tv. My dd2 is a week old and I really wish I could take me dd1 out somewhere or do something. Groups don't start til next week unfortunately cause of school holidays. I just feel awful that she is watching tv non stop. Dh tries but isn't very good entertaining her. It's making me feel really emotional that I can't do more with her. Am I a bad mum?

Illustrationaddict Fri 22-Feb-13 14:41:44

No! You are a good Mum as you obviously care a lot about getting the balance right in parenting both your babies. Don't be too hard on yourself, dd2 is only a week old so naturally you have to be on call more which will be hard for dd1 to accept initially. Do you have family or friends nearby who could assist? Maybe a doting grandparent, or does she have a little friend who she could go play with for a few hours to give her interaction, and you a little guilt free break?

sh77 Fri 22-Feb-13 14:44:30

Does she have toys and books? If not, is there a toy library nearby? I don't have tv in the house and find that ds 23 months is always busy doing something - playing with water, toys, helping me around the house, listening to the radio and nursery cds. I think there is no problem with tv for short periods but if it is as prolonged as you say, it could affect her development in other areas eg gross and fine motor development. You could try taking the tv away as that will force you and dh to interact with her and find other activities to keep her busy.

sh77 Fri 22-Feb-13 14:47:54

Sorry - reread your message. I missed the part saying your baby is one week old. It won't harm her if it is for a week! Having a newborn and toddler is very intense. You are a good mum as you are concerned. Could family or friends help?

LadyKinbote Fri 22-Feb-13 14:49:38

Seriously don't feel bad! DD was sat in front of the TV with endless biscuits for the first few weeks when DS was born but it didn't take long till I was back to adequate decent parenting.

TanteRose Fri 22-Feb-13 14:52:30

My DD was 17 months when DS was born - the TV saved my sanity!

When playgroups etc. start, you will be getting out and about more, and the TV viewing will decrease a bit

Seriously, don't worry smile

N0tinmylife Fri 22-Feb-13 14:53:18

Give yourself a break, in the short term TV will do her no harm at all. It sounds like you already have plans for things to do, to get you all out and about, but it will take you time to adjust to having 2 DC's, and get into a routine. With a toddler and a one week old, I'd say if everyone is fed, clothed and safe, you are doing great, anything beyond that is a bonus!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 22-Feb-13 14:54:37

Goodness don't worry about it in the short term.

Is your DH still at home? He should be at least taking her out for some fresh air every day, but other than that don't stress.

Cupcakemummy85 Sat 23-Feb-13 14:22:40

Dh is still at home but because he works for himself he still has to do a bit of work. Next week will b better. I'm going to really make an effort. I feel so bad for dd1 because I don't feel like I've spent much time with her at all. I managed to put her to bed last night which was so nice. She has been pretty winey and I don't blame her. To be honest the whole getting ready to go somewhere and getting into a routine with a baby and toddler really intimidates me. Also breastfeeding is so time consuming tv is the only thing that stops my daughter from causing chaos. How do people do it with two young children and no sleep!!

Blending Sat 23-Feb-13 14:54:32

Congratulations on your newborn!

I am sitting here, about to post something simular! My DD is 26 mo and I am 24 weeks pregnant with twins, but the same size as most people about to give birth! Signed offwork due to various reasons so cant do much with her and I've got a few months to go!

She has ran around, played with her toys, but as I am lacking in energy & mobility and I need a rest she is now stuck in front of the TV.

DH is at work and I swore I would never use the Disney Junior channel as a baby sitter...I just feel bad about it!

At least you know its just a short time until you can give her more stimulation and it wont do harm for a little while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now