Toddler has dropped her nap - non-TV recommendations for what to do with a cranky child for 'downtime'

(7 Posts)
Kiwiinkits Thu 21-Feb-13 21:42:33

She's almost 2.5 and has dropped her nap.

I need suggestions for the 3.30 - 4.30pm slot when it's not yet dinner and her baby sister is napping (so we're stuck in the house). She gets pissed off with puzzles, falls asleep with audio books and I don't want to use TV too often.

Would love some advice. What 'quiet' activities do you do with your toddler during downtimes?

GarbledMessage Thu 21-Feb-13 21:47:00

I'd go with the audiobooks! ;)
Play-doh works well in our house, they can get very absorbed with that, or a bowl of dried beans/lentils/rice or whatever you have in, a tray (to try and contain the mess) and some things they can scoop the grains up in and pour it with and some smaller bowls. If you have a funnel and plastic bottle and the above DS will sit quietly for an hour easily!

Kiwiinkits Thu 21-Feb-13 22:06:11

Great suggestion, thanks!
I forgot to add, I'd also consider suggestions for gentle/educative aps on an i-pad.

forevergreek Thu 21-Feb-13 22:09:43

could you not try audio books at 1pm and get her to nap still?

Cheddars Thu 21-Feb-13 22:12:07

Tozzle is a great jigsaw type app. I have it on my phone but I'm sure it's available on the iPad. There's also the interactive storybooks on the iPad, Snow White etc - my dd can get quite engrossed by these.

MrsSham Thu 21-Feb-13 22:28:38

One whole hour is a long time for one activity. I always found dressing up box in dds own room was a good tired activity for maybe a good 20 mins if i needed some time to get things done and I wanted her to occupy herself. Maybe then take 10 mins to share a book and then have her help you prep dinner or play in kitchen with utensils or have a snack, whilst you do some dinner prep and then maybe a good 10 mins with audio books again settled on her own.

My dd loved playing a noddy train track when she had when she was tired she would get on the floor and role around some times she would just hold the cars and lay down. I don't think a little tv is a problem mid afternoon, is the only real time my dd had an opportunity to watch.

Also beginning an activity and slowly slipping off was always a winner in our house. But when they are tired lots of little tasks are a good idea.m

dragging out sitting with a snack and then a drink at the table whilst you do things in the kitchen and chat draws out a long half hour.

Kiwiinkits Fri 22-Feb-13 16:40:25

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now