2 week old DS has slept all day. Am I in for a tough night?

(6 Posts)
Moochicken Thu 21-Feb-13 16:39:42

He's done nothing but sleep and feed all day, falling asleep on the breast during each feed. Can I cross my fingers that he'll continue this pattern through the night or should I try to steel myself for w long, tiring night?
I have a 2.5 year old DD so I haven't even been able to sleep when he does.

gwenniebee Thu 21-Feb-13 16:45:21

My dd used to do this some days and scare me witless that there was something wrong. Then she'd sleep fine at night too. I think some days they're just tired!

Mind you, when dd was still in utero she'd do the same thing - not move all day and have me drinking absurd quantities of cold water just to get a little wriggle out of her. Monkey.

Hope you have a good night!

Loubyloulou88 Thu 21-Feb-13 17:20:38

My little boy is 4 weeks old and he's been the same. I think at this point they have no perception of day and night, and just feed and sleep as they need it. He may also be going through a growth spurt, apparently they sleep lots during this time. So far every week has been different for us so don't be surprised if his sleep pattern changes again in a few days. If he's sleeping lots its because he needs to x

meganw Thu 21-Feb-13 20:20:46

My DD was asleep all day (and most of the night) for the first 3 weeks of her life. Just woke up for feeds every couple of hours day and night - there was no differentiation. She would be awake just for 15-20 mins at a time. at about 3-4 weeks she 'woke up' in the day, and eventually got the hang of day/night. I'm sure he'll wake up in the day soon!

moomoo2013 Thu 21-Feb-13 20:57:09

My daughter is 6 weeks and is very similar she has in recent couple of weeks started waking for longer in the day she often fights sleep cause shes such a nosey parker. Im under the assumption/have read that this will be the case untill theyre feeds become larger along with their tums in which time they'll sleep for longer periods and be awake for longer periods.

Moochicken Thu 21-Feb-13 21:23:52

Thanks for the replies. He's woken up a bit more now that I'm trying to get ready for bed (typical!).

I'm really hoping for a quiet night because I'm exhausted. All I can do now is cross my fingers and hope he sleeps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now