Any recommendations for a 'halfway house' between a bottle and a cup?

(9 Posts)
notwoo Tue 19-Feb-13 22:34:36

DS is nearly 1. He was EBF until 6 months, then mix fed until 10 months and fully formula fed since then. He really loves his milk and can still have 4 bottles a day (including at least 1 night feed - thought we'd got rid of them, hence giving up the convenience of breastfeeding but he had other ideas!)

He eats a good solid diet too - 3 decent meals plus snack so it's not as if he is drinking milk instead of eating - I think he genuinely still needs quite a lot. It is obviously a comfort thing for him too.

He will drink from a tommee tippee cup but not a great deal and it's a bit messy so wondered if there was a decent middle ground that would enable him to get enough milk whilst moving away from bottles.

Doidy cup?

notwoo Tue 19-Feb-13 22:52:48

Yes - we've tried one of them - even more messy than tommee tippee! He likes water from it though.
Was thinking more of something with a soft spout?

BreadForMyBREADGUN Tue 19-Feb-13 22:57:33

Nuby soft spout cup. Its got a silicon teat on it that's more like a cup, and has handles. I'll try and find a link.

JassyRadlett Tue 19-Feb-13 22:58:45

The only one my DS will drink his evening milk from is the Nuby one with the straw - no spills and he loves it. The rest of the day he's happy with Tommy Tippee / Doidy / beaker but yes, messy!

BreadForMyBREADGUN Tue 19-Feb-13 22:59:27

www.amazon.co.uk/NUBY-GRIPNSIP-MONTHS-NO1-CUP/dp/B003YGWS2A/ref=pd_sxp_f_i

I think the nuby straw one is on that link somewhere too.

notwoo Wed 20-Feb-13 21:45:55

Thanks for those suggestions-look promising!

JumpHerWho Wed 20-Feb-13 21:53:51

Don't stress too much about the amount of milk, my DS still had 4 well after one and wouldn't take it from any container other than a bottle! Catsbums from HVs and mummy friends, but DS seemed happy so I let him continue and at 14 months he's down to just one morning and eve. It's not the law they have to move on from bottles smile he has water from sippy cups at meals and in between anyway, but milk=comfort=bottle. No matter, so if you can't find anything to suit, don't worry. I think of it like extended breastfeeding in a way - he still needs/wants the comfort of a soft teat in a mummy cuddle so he can still have it. Obviously as long as they're getting enough food, it's just literally a comfort thing anyway, and night wakings could be for any one of a gazillion reasons.

hubbahubster Thu 21-Feb-13 10:25:11

We have so many different cups in our cupboard! By far the best we've found is the Tommee Tippee water bottle with a flip-up straw, really good for out and about too as it's non-spill and doesn't leak when you flip the straw down (so you can chuck it in your bag). And for in the house, the Vital Baby 3 in 1 trainer cup - DS started with the spout but moved on to the lid with a sippy hole at about 15/16 months. Only £3.99 from Amazon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now