Almost 4yo ds suddenly gone all Jekyll and Hyde

(5 Posts)
motherofvikings Tue 05-Feb-13 13:47:57

Can anyone help me fathom out ds please.

Ds is 3.9yo and has always been a very laid back, chilled out happy boy.
We moved to a new city where we knew no one in December. We had a break in his pre schooling for the move and Christmas and he started back at a new one in January. He's settled in really well, gets on with the other children well and trots in happily every afternoon without even saying goodbye. So far all good. smile

But when he's at home he is so cross/ angry/ short tempered.

Is he just tired from being back at preschool (it's been 4 weeks now)
Is it that testosterone surge mentioned in 'raising boys'?
Any ideas?

I miss my laid back happy boy! sad

motherofvikings Tue 05-Feb-13 21:24:51

Any ideas, anyone? smile

sleepdeprivedby2 Wed 06-Feb-13 13:41:25

Hi motherofvikings, I think it is more than likely age related as I also have a 3.9yo DS and since Christmas he has gone from a very laid back and placid little boy (unlike his sister!) to an absolute monster at times and also appears to be getting very cross at things that wouldn't normally bother him.

He very nearly went on the school run naked last Friday as he spent over an hour screaming and kicking in his bedroom that he didn't want to get dressed!

So I feel your pain and hopefully we will have our adorable boys back to their old selves soon.

Skiffle Wed 06-Feb-13 21:10:06

It could well be his reaction to the house move and change in pre-school. Not saying that it's caused him emotional damage or anything (!) but it can be hard to adjust to big changes, even though he likes his pre-school it might be emotionally hard work for him adapting to it.

Or it could be nothing to do with that and be purely a developmental phase - my 4yo DD has phases that last for forever a few weeks where she's really grumpy, seems very tired, irritable, totally overreacts to everything, and then she's back to her lovely smiley self again. With her I notice when she's having a grumpy phase she's also very clingy to me, one minute wanting cuddles at bedtime and the next shouting that I'm a horrid mummy who has to move out of the house. I've heard this referred to as a push-pull phase, I don't know if that's any help or not.

motherofvikings Wed 06-Feb-13 21:10:35

I'm glad it's not just mine! smile
Not that that's much help for either of us.

Ah well, all this too shall pass. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now