advice on 7yr old with no friends

(11 Posts)
Kayleigha Fri 01-Feb-13 21:35:19

my 7year old told two nights ago he has no friends at school and he always plays on his own
he was very upset. I've discussed with teacher today and they will start to buddy him up with kids to try and make new friends but surely it shouldn't be this hard at their age?sad

Virtuallyarts Fri 01-Feb-13 21:42:23

Did the teacher suggest anyone he may he get on with? If so i would invite them round to play if you can - that can promote friendships in school. If teach hasn't given you any names, i'd go back and ask for some, or ask ds who he'd like to play with at home. It's great that school is taking some action by buddying him up - probably a good idea to ask teach for an update in a week to keep the focus.

Does your ds do anything out of school like cubs, a sport etc? That can be a real confidence booster, and another source of friends as well.

My sympathies, this can be heartrending - at any age!

Kayleigha Fri 01-Feb-13 21:49:16

the teacher is going to try different kids over next week to.buddy with and see who he gets on with. inviting them over is good idea once he has found someone he gets on with. due to speak with school next week to see how he is getting along with this buddy scheme.
really is heartbreaking seeing them upset and knowing you can't be with them at school for support.
hoping its just a faze...

DIYapprentice Fri 01-Feb-13 22:01:18

I feel for you and your DS. My DS1 (5, almost 6) sometimes comes home and says he has been on his own all day and that nobody would play with him. It's heartbreaking.

See if you can find out what activities/games the other boys tend to do/play. Sometimes it's a sport thing, and if your DS isn't able to join in he will be left out.

While asking your DS about who he would like to invite over, make sure you ask whether there are any boys he DOESN'T want to have over or be buddied up with. You don't want to inadvertently put him in a situation where he is made to spend time with any children that are being mean to him.

exoticfruits Fri 01-Feb-13 22:14:57

I always recommend Beavers- very good for mixing. Go with his interests and do things outside school. Meanwhile invite a DC home from school.

Kayleigha Fri 01-Feb-13 22:16:03

he is very open in telling me and the teacher who is nasty to him so dont think there any worry of inviting wrong kids over, think they buddy him with kids he never played with before. he use to enjoy football in the lower years but now he feels he not good enough as much more competitive.

he has never really had a close friend at school which i think is what he needs, however he doesn't do himself any favours as he can be very fussy with who he play with so maybe he needs help with social skills.

Kayleigha Fri 01-Feb-13 22:20:00

exoticfruits: he recently quit beavers as he said the woman who ran it shouted constantly and it gave him headaches. he does football.once a week after schoolbut those children them won't mix with him in.school.

exoticfruits Fri 01-Feb-13 22:29:02

Beavers is only as good as the leaders- any other interests?

Kayleigha Fri 01-Feb-13 22:38:14

he does football which he loves the one club as its not too hard. but he can't move that confidence in the smaller footy club to school play where they play football also, he then thinks he.not good enough.

Virtuallyarts Sat 02-Feb-13 07:39:48

Do you have any friends/neighbours children' he could get together with - that can give dc 'a lift' and then they have more confidence with friendships at school as well. Doesn't have to be the same age, necessarily, though not too far apart probably works best.

Kayleigha Sat 02-Feb-13 08:02:36

he has a very close friend who lives a few doors away from us actually.as is same age but unfortunately they go to different school though, just don't understand why he struggling at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now