Advice needed on how to 'night wean' my DS1 onto his dad,instead of mama.

(6 Posts)
jouli Thu 24-Jan-13 14:45:52

I'm 38 weeks pg,with DS2 & still co sleep with my DS1 who is 2 ( & still a poor sleeper). I have a cosleeping cot (for DS2)at the side of my mattress & my DH sleeps in spare room,as he snores like a congested walrus. My Ds1 occasionally wakes & is only comforted by me,if my husband even touches him he protests hysterically. I'm starting to panic about our night arrangement when DS2 joins us. How can I get DS1 to accept his dad's comforting,instead of mine ? Any advise would be most welcome (please,no comments about the evils of cosleeping).

We will be getting to this stage in the future I'm sure as DS is co sleeping and I think he might just like it stay that way as long as possible he also resists any comfort from OH but is only 7 months so I'm not worried at the moment.

Have you tried having DH put him down to sleep, in another room and stay with him the night, and you sleep somewhere else, so that from the start he has a slightly different routine (different room) and so doesn't miss you so much, and then expects DH when he wakes (seeing as he put him to sleep)?

Don't have a clue if it would work, but might be worth a try?

jouli Thu 24-Jan-13 17:29:41

Thanks,for your suggestion. It sounds like a sensible one. I think I sometimes worry too much about DS1's wishes & put his above everyone elses( instead of his needs!) That's all about to change,though !! I won't have a choice when wee brother arrives. Boys & their Mama's,eh,noone else will do !!

babySophieRose Thu 24-Jan-13 18:15:08

My DD 15 months is already having separation anxietie, used to scream when DP is alone with her ( he is at work all day and sees her only in evenings and mornings). She does not want to play with him, etc. But for the last 2 weeks I stayed close to her when hi is around, she started to accept beeng with him and even let him put her to sleep last night without me being in the room. So, perhaps try to be in close reach when he is with him and slowly get him to do the nights with you at first.

FreyaKItty Thu 24-Jan-13 23:54:29

We decorated a room for dd and she and dh moved into it. She was nearly 2. I was about 34/35 weeks pregnant.
It made them closer. I noticed when ds1 was just born she would often run to dad with something. They are still very close which is lovely.

He's still in there though (dd is 3 now). She has announced she will sleep by herself when she turns 4. She still sometimes wakes during night (dd/ds often wake at the same time so handy) that dh is there to settle her.

jouli Mon 28-Jan-13 14:02:45

Nice to know that there are families out there that can make this arrangement work. It gives me hope ! Not sure how my light sleeping DS will cope with DH's explosive snoring though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now