my daughter will not change her socks or underwear

(57 Posts)
Skankorama Thu 24-Jan-13 08:20:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 25-Jan-13 00:23:01

My niece (8 - almost 9) is a bit like this at the moment. Complete soap dodger and would put dirty pants/socks back on after a bath/shower if she could, although wouldn't go to the effort to get them out of the laudry basket - but would like through her back teeth saying she had clean ones on (even though the socks are filthy etc). She's also very shouty/huffy/sulky/emotional. She would do the piano thing. We are mostly putting it down to hormones. They think the world of her at school and describe a child we don't recognise grin

She's always been hard work, she's the eldest and is ME ME ME ME ME.

She can be lovely, thoughtful, sweet, kind... but a lot of the time she's bloody trying!

We are putting it all down to hormones!

So - poor you - you have such a variety of answers! I hope one (or several) helps.

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Fri 25-Jan-13 00:19:31

My friend DD used towear the same knickers for ages at the same type of age. There were no MH issues whatsoever and she grew out of it. Her parents are real neat freaks and I wondered if she was reacting against it.
My friend was irritated by her DD doing this but apart from nagging her a bit didn't do much. Her DD wasn't dirty and didn't smell though.

Percephone Fri 25-Jan-13 00:05:01

You don't mention any other difficulties. Is everything ok otherwise? Normal development and social interaction? School going well?

I don't think she needs CAMHS unless there are other issues you haven't mentioned. This has become a bad habit which needs to be broken. I agree with Seeker - you need to take them from her and make sure she can't get them back. If you say you're going to do it then follow it through otherwise she'll know she can avoid it by creating a scene. Please don't be offended, but have you thought of trying a parenting course? CAMHS would likely suggest this. However if there are other problems then it might be worth discussing with your GP.

thewhistler Thu 24-Jan-13 23:00:53

Just to say, that if everything is normal , Ds hates changing his socks and quite a few boys go through a yukky stage. But worth thinking about unhappiness and the camhs ref.

fackinell Thu 24-Jan-13 22:47:44

OP, to me it sounds a lot like Obsessional Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I have had this and still do to an extent although I can largely control it. It is a neurosis (sufferers are aware of their behaviour unlike a psychosis in which they are unaware). Mine manifested itself in the form of repetitive behaviour and rituals.

Very personal but I don't mind sharing. (In no way am I insinuating this is the case in your home, just giving you background). I had a violent Father who attempted to kill my mother several times. I asked her after we got away what her favourite number was, she replied,
'3, because there are 3 of us now'. This started a cycle of me having to do everything in 3s, along with a hand washing obsession and nervous tics. To me this was a protection. I would get extremely distressed if it was intervened in any way.

It can be a rational or an irrational fear. Bullying at school? Maybe if she wears her pants and socks one day and it doesn't happen, they become 'safe'.

I'm only guessing of course but it sounds a lot like me at 7 years old. I agree with GP referral to a MH professional.

QOD Thu 24-Jan-13 22:22:19

Could it just be attention seeking ? You mentioned you childmind?
Like the laying on the sofa with a snack seems to be?

er1507 Thu 24-Jan-13 22:11:46

My 13yr old brother is EXACTLY the same. Not just with socks and underwear mind but with all his clothes. He has asperges and its a real struggle to even get him in the shower! He prob goes in twice a week if we're lucky. he knows his white socks are black but his sensory problems mean that putting on a new clean pair of socks is just too much for him, he even had to wear them inside out because he can't bear the seem that runs along the toes. His communication skills are poor, he genuinely forgets that you have told him something a million times because who's brain is processing other things.

Not saying your dd has asperges or anything similar but maybe she shouts and screams because she doesn't know how to communicat to you why she does it. She might be a bit embarrassed by it herself.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 24-Jan-13 17:04:38

My Dd3 is also quite happy wearing dirty clothes, she has ASD and has lotsnof sensory issues.( again not suggesting your dd has asd)
My Dd3 is particularly bad at changing her vest, she loves her vest especially well worn.

I give her a clean one everyday and I find them hidden usually under her pillow or down the side of her bed. I let her go a couple of days and then Instand over her and watch her change.

She doesnt actively seek dirty ones though. I think I would be looking at speaking to an HCP.

Good lucksmile

PhyllisDoris Thu 24-Jan-13 13:11:39

It does sound like a control/defiance thing.
1. Explain to her that people have said that she smells, and that anyway her habits are not healthy.
2. Tell her you are going to insist on fresh socks/underwear everyday from now on (maybe work on one thing at a time?). Pick a start date, so she has time to mentally prepare herself - eg, "I'm starting Monday"
3. Don't engage in any further conversation about it - at 9 she won't have the vocabulary to explain why she does this, even if she knows why herself.
4. Don't negotiate - you are the adult
5. Take away all her knickers and socks, and give her a fresh pair each day, and demand the dirty ones back at bed time. And yes, lock the dirty ones up if necessary, or burn them, or whatever.
6. There will be tantrums, but walk away from them. Not easy to do, but be consistent.
7. Offer both small short term rewards and larger long term rewards but be sure these are something that will really engage her. (Offer really big ones if necessary - it will be worth the money). Maybe even start with asking her to keep clean clothes on for a couple of hours only, and work up from there. Perhaps you could concentrate on knickers only, or socks only for the initial period, and up the stakes and reward after a while.
8. Be consistent. Pick a system and stick with it for at least a couple of months.

None if this is easy - but remember that as the adult you have the control over her life - it doesn't work the otherway round.

titchy Thu 24-Jan-13 11:41:50

Agree with others suggesting a referral. Is it just underwear, or all clothes?

Also your title is misleading - it's not that she won't change underwear, it's that she actively seeks out dirty underwear.

5madthings Thu 24-Jan-13 11:28:20

I was coming to say what adopt mama said.

I think you need to see as go and camhs, she could just be stubborn but her behavior needs addressing to see what could be behind it and to give you some strategies to cope.

seekers idea of taking them off and putting them in a bucket of water is good.

Also speak to school and see if they have concerns etc.

BoffinMum Thu 24-Jan-13 11:19:27
BoffinMum Thu 24-Jan-13 11:18:37

There's something called a CREST typology of temperament developed by Prof Peter Hill, a leading Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist - it stands for Cognitively Rigid, Egocentric, Socially Awkward and Tempestuous.

He recommends the strategies in the book 'The Explosive Child" by Greene, which works in some cases.

It strikes me that reading the book isn't going to do any harm in this instance, and a visit to the GP may also be in order in case there is the possibility of a referral later on, for some kind of CBT for your daughter.

adoptmama Thu 24-Jan-13 10:27:21

Some children behave in this way for very disturbing reasons (such as having been abused; they use the poor hygiene as a way of making themselves 'undesirable'.) Other times it is because of mental health issues. It can be sensory (disliking the feeling of new/clean clothes) although if this has been a recent development in her behaviour it is unlikely to be sensory. It may be a simple - and very yucky phase - which some blunt talking will sort out. But it may not be. I would say that it would help you to discuss her behaviours and issues with a professional so that you can judge better whether you have a serious problem or not.

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 24-Jan-13 10:22:22

My sister did the exact same thing, down to smuggling dirty socks and underwear out to put back on, and the huge tantrums.

CAMHS suggested one wear underwear. Weird paper stuff. We bought it online and had to cut them up after each day so she wouldn't go in the bin for them. We'd do it when she got into her pyjamas, and then get out a new pair for the next day. At the start we let her sleep in tomorrow's pair if she wanted. We worked up to her cutting them up.

It might be worth a try? Let me know if you want more detail of info. I hope this helps, it's so stressful.

WowOoo Thu 24-Jan-13 10:17:56

Have you tried not having a battle about it? Letting her wear them?
What happens then?

Maybe it won't be so appealing or she'll realise herself or from a friend that it is a bit skanky to wear the same knickers for weeks.

I have no advice at all, it must be so hard.

GobblersSparklyExplodingKnob Thu 24-Jan-13 10:05:43

I think you need a CAMHS asessment, she sounds quite troubled and it is obviously making you unhappy.

FWIW my old boss had the same problem with her husband but with all of his clothes shock every so often she would buy him new things and then sneakily steal his old stuff when he was asleep and burn it in the garden, had to be burnt as he would happily retrieve it from the dustbin and put it back on and it was always waaaaaay beyond washing. Most of the time he would sleep in it to stop her, he literally never changed his clothes and never washed. Was a university lecturer too, I used to feel so sorry for his students. The times I met him you could smell him a mile off, it was sickening.

HecateWhoopass Thu 24-Jan-13 10:02:45

Mine have the potential to be like this if left to their own devices! In their case, they both have autism - same as pricscilla, I am not suggesting your child does!

I think it is the difference in the way that worn things feel compared to just washed stuff, in their case.

My youngest is particularly bad for it. I let him get changed after school into his outfit. Which will be the same thing he's been wearing every day after school for a month! Because it helps him and it doesn't matter.

However. If he's got to go out then it's washed body and clean clothes! and school - clean, clean clean.

I think seeker had a great idea with the bucket. That's what I'd do. Physically remove the dirty items and put them into the bucket. you cannot let her go to school in dirty socks and pants and you have to do whatever it takes to stop this from happening.

And you should also experiment with ways to make the clean stuff feel more like the dirty stuff, if this is a sensory issue. This may mean not using a perfumed washing powder. Tumble drying instead of hanging on the line (if you do. line stuff gets stiff) crumpling the clean stuff up so it isn't folded and neat and looking like clean stuff grin

TinkBelle Thu 24-Jan-13 09:58:25

I have some experience of child mental health issues and I would just add that if you have ANY concerns that your d might have an underlying issue, no matter how frightening it seems to you to bring this up with your doctor, please do so. If there is a problem then CAMHS will support and offer strategies, if there isn't then at least you have tried all avenues to support her - and yourselves. Hang on in there and take care.

PriscillaLydiaSellon Thu 24-Jan-13 09:53:15

We've had some of this with DS - though he does have AS (not trying to suggest your DD has this: just giving it some context in our particular case). The tantrums, screaming, stamping etc etc are all sadly familiar. He did have a phase of hiding dirty pants (slightly different issue there), and another of insisting on wearing the same smelly socks. I did calmly explain why people need to change their socks, but he wouldn't have it. Eventually I took to removing them from his feet while he was asleep. He didn't bother to get them out of the washing basket (simply ranting at me instead); if he had done, I'd have been very grateful for the bucket of water tip!

ClaraBean Thu 24-Jan-13 09:45:53

I am afraid I don't know anything about child MH, so can offer no advice, but I just wanted to say ds is a bit like this. He is quite difficult (when with me, better when with dh) and bickers eeennndddlessly with his sister, and quite mouthy. I struggle with him, though he is lovely a lot of the time, he is like the girl with the girl in the middle of her forehead!

Anyway, last year when he was 9 he did the same thing with pants and socks, hiding clean pants and socks between his bed and the wall. Drove me nuts. In the end we said to him if he can't get dressed like a big boy, we will have to treat him like a toddler, and we handed him clothes and underwear every morning, and then checked he had changed his pants and socks. Every morning. It broke the habit eventually (but it took a while). He also knows that we will still do a random check now and again (because he slipped back into it when we stopped the checking) Seems to have worked well with ds, as he is desperate to be responsible and 'grown up'.

Hope things get better for you and dd

amillionyears Thu 24-Jan-13 09:43:08

Agree with others posts on here.

I am just wondering whether she finds it difficult constantly having other children in the house.
Maybe she really hates it, but doesnt quite know why, and cant therefore really express it.

And whether she is using the socks and underwear issue, so that you have to spend more of your time ,looking at and dealing with her.

Just a thought. I could be wrong.

badtemperedaldbitch Thu 24-Jan-13 09:39:59

I'd follow all the advice others have given but take it one step further. I'd get a pair of her old smelly socks and sew them together so they absolutely can't be washed. Then I'd let her keep them like a comforter.

Maybe she isn't hearing....you need clean clothes
Maybe she's hearing....you arnt good enough

Tell her there is a time and a place for everything. Let her wear her socks all weekend, but fresh ones for school.

Skankorama Thu 24-Jan-13 09:34:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thewhistler Thu 24-Jan-13 09:31:10

Gosh, poor you.

I have found that whenever Ds is bullying us, and behaving really badly, it is because he is getting it from somewhere else and needs to pass it on.

Otherwise, it might be a sign of mh issues, in which case the sooner identified, the better.

Either way, difficult if you are childminding, I know, but can you go into school and see her teacher and see how things are going? And is there a mum on her class you know and like and trust?

Has this sort of behaviour always been the case, or just for worse for a time?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now