6 month old - horrendous screeching!

(14 Posts)
emblosion Mon 21-Jan-13 19:25:03

Gawd, my ds has been doing the most horrendous high pitched scream/screech for a couple of weeks. He seems to do it when annoyed/tired/bored/frustrated mostly - but sometimes does it then looks at me and laughs.

Doing my best not to react, or else to ignore it & distract him but it is absolutely awful and draining and it is deafeningly loud. Please, please tell me this is a phase?

Also, is this something I should be worried about? I don't know any other babies his age that do it & just worrying in case its nit 'normal' although he seems ok in other ways.

I've just given him some calpol incase something is bothering him, but he has no temperature or anything

emblosion Mon 21-Jan-13 19:28:55

Oops, posted too soon. I'm worried it could be something hurting him I suppose, although its not crying, just shrieking - like a v loud whistling kettle. If a phase, how can I discourage it?

AnyaKnowIt Mon 21-Jan-13 19:29:19

He has found his voice grin

It is a phase and it will pass, you might need wine to cope grin

Flisspaps Mon 21-Jan-13 19:30:05

It'll pass. Eventually.

dashoflime Mon 21-Jan-13 19:30:50

Haha, mine does that as well! (same age).

I think he just likes that he can make a big noise

Ellellie Mon 21-Jan-13 19:31:45

I could have written your post 4 months ago!

Unfortunately, I think time is your only solution wine

emblosion Mon 21-Jan-13 19:48:15

Haha, pass the gin smile I know I'm being a bit mental - he's driving me round the bend (along with the entire swimming pool changing room today I suspect!)

Feel better that I'm not alone in my suffering....

melonribena Mon 21-Jan-13 19:50:42

My six month old is exactly the same! Some screams are literally ear splitting! I've been blowing lots of raspberries on him over the last few weeks and luckily blowing raspberries seems to have taken over as his favourite noise!

flossy101 Mon 21-Jan-13 19:58:36

Mine does this. He is 6 months and has been really screaming for past few weeks. He isn't crying, just testing his voice. He goes bright red and tenses his body and then screams or does a big grunt/shout.

belindarose Mon 21-Jan-13 20:00:53

Oh yes, my 6 mo loves to practise this around 4am. He's so proud of himself!

McKayz Mon 21-Jan-13 20:01:10

DD does this too. She shrieks then blows a raspberry then shrieks some more. Totally normal.

abigboydidit Mon 21-Jan-13 20:04:03

Oh, I remember that phase.. DS was terrible for doing it in the car, after bouts of blissful silence. Is a wonder I never crashed..

Another squealer here.... Have considered going to the neighbours to beg them not to report us to SS as we are really not murdering DD.....

ilovepicnmix Mon 21-Jan-13 20:25:31

My 6 month old has some shrieking days. Sometimes scares me half to death.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now