Dinner refusing 2 yr old - any ideas?

(7 Posts)
Mibby Sun 20-Jan-13 19:23:57

Does anyone have any tips for a dinner-refusing 2 year old? Breakfast and lunch are fine, snacks are fine, dinner is either total refusal or 2-3 mouthfuls and 'full/ finished'. Suspected a tooth coming thru but Calpol has no effect. We're not offering alternatives, or pudding unless she's made a 'good effort' and no snacks from 3 hrs before dinner.

noblegiraffe Sun 20-Jan-13 19:25:48

Perhaps she's not hungry? It's possible if she's getting two decent meals a day.

Rooble Sun 20-Jan-13 19:28:37

Let her finish when she's full? Childrens' appetites vary, and she might just be right that she's had enough.
If you think she's taking the P, you could say "fine, but no more snacks before bed". (Need to follow this through though).
Are you worried about her not eating enough?

Rooble Sun 20-Jan-13 19:29:22

X-post - but Giraffe far more succinct than me!

Mibby Sun 20-Jan-13 19:38:34

Thanks for the quick replies smile
Breakfast is cereal and lunch crumpets/ sandwich/ cheese on toast type stuff. Shes eating quite a lot less than a week ago sad
We dont do any snacks after dinner.
She still seems to have a fair amount of energy

noblegiraffe Sun 20-Jan-13 20:02:19

Sometimes their appetites do come and go. If you're offering a dinner that you know she likes and she says she's not hungry, and she's not saying she's hungry later either then I'd just let her be for the moment. Some days my DS eats like a horse all day and some days he'll skip lunch and have a few mouthfuls of dinner. I know he's not mucking around if I offer him a biscuit and he says no to that too!

hillyhilly Sun 20-Jan-13 22:06:13

At that age, my ds ate 2 meals out of 3, he loves breakfast but either lunch or dinner would be as you describe. He didn't come to any harm, don't worry about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now