Is my 3 month old teething????

(11 Posts)
mummy2lola Sun 20-Jan-13 18:52:57

Hi there,
I'm just interested to know whether my daughter of 11 weeks is teething, as I think she has the classic signs of a teething baby. She has had silent reflux from birth and is on ranitidine, domperidone and sma staydown milk, so it is under controll for her at the moment. the symptoms which i think may be teething ( im a first time mum, so i could be wrong!,) are as follows.....
1. Dribbling more than usual and frantically biting on hands, my shoulder, anything within mouths reach.
2. Seems to be waking earlier than usual- usually sleeps from 9pm-6am and now wakes at 3am, but refuses bottle.
3. Fussy with feeds, or refusing feeds completely (she already has silentnreflux, so it could be the reflux)
4. Never had any bottom redness, but seems redder than usual, and poos are more solid (sorry tmi!)
5. Sometimes screaming out for one reason and all of a sudden going hysterical for a minute or so, even if napping waking crying hysterically, then goes back to sleep after being settled.

If this is teething, then what should I do? I'm a first time mum so I'm not sure what I'm looking for completely. I've been offering cool boiled water to see if it soothes, but she's not keen on it!!!!! I've had a feel of her gums, but I'm not sure what in feeling for. They feel normal to me, and can feel teeth inside the gum from the outside, but thought that was probably normal.

Any advice greatly appreciated :-) many thanks mums x

Nigglenaggle Sun 20-Jan-13 20:30:29

The teeth move beneath the gum line way before you can see or feel anything from the outside, and we feel this is more painful than the final push through for our child, so I think it could be teething, but I have no experience of reflux to say if it could be that...

Tigresswoods Sun 20-Jan-13 21:43:08

No, what you have there is a baby. Someone posts a question exactly like this every few weeks. Cheers wine

preggersshock Sun 20-Jan-13 23:13:50

I have a 12 week old DD, she is dribbling a lot & starting to put things in her mouth. I read somewhere that this is normal at this age & the dribbling is a response to the putting things in mouth (something to do with producing more saliva to fend off the bacteria & bugs on the things being put in the mouth)... This could explain the dribbling. That said she may well be teething, as I understand it some babies teeth as early as birth grin

ThreeWheelsGood Sun 20-Jan-13 23:57:58

My 12 week old sounds just like yours and at first we also thought she must be teething. Seems it's just a phase! So much drool!

mummy2lola Mon 21-Jan-13 01:08:10

Thanks for the helpful responses- I don't mind a bit of drool!!!! Lol! I just wondered if she was teething & if so, is there anything I can do to ease the discomfort it causes????

Forgetfulmog Mon 21-Jan-13 01:18:21

Calpol is your friend! My LO has been the same. Basically from about 12 weeks, the teeth can start moving up & down under the gums causing the classic signs of discomfort. Your LO isn't teething exactly, it will take many more months before teeth appear (sorry!). Anyway what we do us give dd a dose of calpol when the pain & screaming starts

throwinshapes Mon 21-Jan-13 01:25:40

Actually, my dd's first two incisors came through at around 12 wks, so could well be teething.
We found the nelson's teething powders (organic and nearly 6 years ago so cannot remember exact name).
Good luck smile

AlphaAndEcho Mon 21-Jan-13 01:29:50

Your DD sounds exactly like my ds !! (also 11wks) he hasn't refused a feed completely but has been slower and less enthusiastic when feeding , and he has also been getting quite red in his cheeks so I have concluded he is teething . Going to see what hv recommends .

It might be teething, my DD cut her first two teeth at 3 and a half months and had all of them barring her second molars by a year old, some do start early. Nelson's teething powders are good, and Ashton & Parsons. I always found ibuprofen better than calpol for teeth (anti-inflammatories are generally better for teeth pain), but I can't remember what age you can give them.

modernbumpkin Tue 22-Jan-13 16:56:15

My little man was exactly the same at this age. The teeth move around so much before they start coming through on and off I thought he was teething till the day his was 6 months old one popped through! I found a teething rings that you pop in the fridge were the best things to help him, and Bikipegs (but I think they are for 6 months +) I re framed from using teething gel and calpol until I can see the teeth starting to cut through so that he gets the full benefit of it....good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now