Newborn asleep all day and up all night

(15 Posts)
pinkoyster Sat 12-Jan-13 01:30:37

Can anybody give me any advice?

13 day old DC sleeps heavily most of the morning and all afternoon/evening until 10pmish. He will then start screaming until the early hours of the morning with trapped wind (I am using infacol and colief to alleviate this). Naturally we are getting zero sleep during the night and I have very little energy to look after my baby and my 2 year old toddler. He is fully bf.

Please can anyone advise me how I cam change his sleeping patterns or is it too early?

PickledApples Sat 12-Jan-13 01:41:50

Make night time boring, dark, quiet and daytime bright, noisy and active has been advice I've been given.

The babies don't seem to heed much in the way of advice though! Have you tried baby massage, checking your diet, different ways of rocking / holding to help with tummy gripes btw?

pinkoyster Sat 12-Jan-13 01:43:26

pickled, I'm dairy free. My eldest also had similar problems, but at least I got a few hours sleep at night!

ellesabe Sat 12-Jan-13 02:23:53

My dd2 was exactly the same over Xmas and it's an absolute killer when you have to get up for a toddler in the morning. You have my sympathies!

We just rode it out and now at 9wo she is sometimes doing 8 hrs at night.

Napsalot Sat 12-Jan-13 02:43:12

Same thing happened to me (and we also have a toddler -it is tough!). I was told it can get better around 8 weeks, which it did. It felt so far away though so I felt I should do something. Some advice I got on here was to treat it like jet lag -I spent the weekend outside during the day with bubs getting fresh air and sunshine. That helped.

Good luck.

munchkinmaster Sat 12-Jan-13 02:47:03

All good advice above. This will pass. I remember that suddenly my baby got the night and day difference.

munchkinmaster Sat 12-Jan-13 02:51:01

Milk is supposed to be higher quality at night. My baby sorted it out about 2/3 weeks old. I made my husband do all comforting till 2. I also expressed a bottle for his turn. And it's maybe about this time we discovered the evil dummy. (I know you are not supposed to use them before 6 weeks).

munchkinmaster Sat 12-Jan-13 02:52:07

Eh all the comforting till 2am I mean. I didn't make him look after the baby till she was 2 weeks old!

pinkoyster Sat 12-Jan-13 03:05:11

Thanks for all the helpful advice. So it is normal for him to be crying with an upset tummy? Tbh, it's really wearing me down, haven't gone to bed yet as baby has been up since 9am alternating between screaming in agony and lying in the dark staring at me!

pinkoyster Sat 12-Jan-13 03:07:09

9pm that should be!

munchkinmaster Sat 12-Jan-13 03:10:48

I don't know about in agony, my baby just screamed. Just what she did. If you really think its pain I'd discuss with gp.

Napsalot Sat 12-Jan-13 03:14:19

I am not sure if it is normal but it happened to me too. I ended up asking my GP for help.

I used infacol and ended up giving formula to help with colic once a day which our GP recommended. I also discovered with both my babies that when I ate chocolate or tomatoes this made them writher in pain the day after. It was a process of elimination to figure that out though.

We also took shifts at night -I watched entire series of tv shows on my ipad during that time to try and stay awake (I had the 2am-morning shift).

I feel your pain -it is hard. I am sure you are doing a great job. It will get better.

halesball Sat 12-Jan-13 03:28:29

Pink my LO is exactly the same and we're 5 weeks in. She starts at 10-11pm and is usually still going at 4am, i'm knackered. The G.P agreed it was colic so i now give her colief as well, with every other bf. We've tried the dummy unsucessfully but she will suck my finger instead (gives my nipples a break). When she looks particularly in pain i give her cool boiled water about half an oz. On the worst nights she gets put in the bath with me constantly swishing the warm water over her tummy. This sometimes settles her. Someone suggested the tiger in the tree hold is also good for babies with colic (i've not tried it yet). The thing i'm starting to realise though is my LO doesn't like being held to much so putting her in her rocker seems to help. Hope your ok i know this sleep deprivation is a killer and its particularly annoying when someone tells you 'to sleep, when the baby is asleep'. As if thats possible

pinkoyster Sat 12-Jan-13 05:31:59

Dc2 tends to scream and arch his back, and then I will hear a deep gurgle in his stomach so I'll know he has trapped wind. This pretty much goes on all night. GP refused yo give colief saying he's a newborn and 'that's what newborns do' so no help there either..

I guess I'll just have to get used to no sleep for a while..

halesball Sat 12-Jan-13 08:10:25

When hes arching his back i would definately try the bath. With my LO we do it, as it stops the crying immediately and about half an hour after she gets out she passes alot if wind and opens her bowels.

I'm lucky i got my GP to prescribe it but only after i'd brought some and explained how it made things better. The GP did say infacol and gripe water were just as effective though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now