How much sleep do your 9 month olds need?

(2 Posts)
gingercats Fri 04-Jan-13 23:04:36

Hi, DD has always had difficulty going to and staying asleep during the day and at night. She currently naps for around 2 hours a day, sometimes 3 hours which is divided into 1 morning and an afternoon nap.
Until a couple of weeks ago she was going to bed at 7pm and getting up around 7am, but waking several times through the night. We went away for a few days at Xmas, it may have been all the excitment of seeing family and wouldn't settle to sleep until 9.30pm. She's kept this late bedtime thing going but on the positive is sleeping loads better at night. Waking only once and occassionally sleeping all night which is amazing grin.
I'm really pleased about the improved night sleeping but worried that she's not getting enough total sleep as she's dropped about 2 hours in a couple of weeks. She is quite grumpy and seems over-tired in the evening but really resists if we try to get her to bed earlier. We've tried taking her out in the pram, car, getting her off to sleep in arms but nothing works. I am now going with the flow and keeping her up until 9/9.30pm which she briefly protests against but does settle with encouragement. I've been giving her quiet time from 8pm.
So...how much sleep do/ did your 9 months old need?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Blue81 Sat 05-Jan-13 21:40:06

My lil one is 10 months on Monday and due to Christmas his routine has got rather messed up but he sounds fairly similar to your lil one.

A normal day is up at 7am
Nap by 10 30 am between 20 mins and a hour
dinner
Afternoon nap at around 2 to 2:30 between 20 mins and 2 hours
tea
mini nap about 6 ish prob only 15 mins
Bedtime was between 7:30 and 8 but he seems to want to be up later but I think (I hope) it will go back to 7:30 next week when he is back at nursery for part of the week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now