Baby waking, inconsolable after 20 mins

(10 Posts)

I have a lovely 8.5 month old DS. He sleeps well at night, when he's asleep, usually waking once or not at all. Occasionally twice.

The problem is he feeds to sleep, is fast asleep & then wakes 20 mins later, heartbroken. Only more boob seems to settle him. I'm sure he can't be hungry... Can he?

Any advice?

Kittycatcat Sat 05-Jan-13 01:47:55

My ds1 always used to wake after half an hour and need resettling. He grew out if it tho so hopefully its just a phase.

Impatientwino Sat 05-Jan-13 03:25:13

Does he feed to sleep? If so is he falling asleep before he's done and then stirs realising he's still hungry?

My DS does this a lot!

madwomanintheattic Sat 05-Jan-13 04:58:56

Ds fed every 2 hours 24/7 for ten months.

The only thing that improved his settling alone at night without feeding was to stop bf.

I'm not advocating it, just telling you what happened with Ds. We tried everything to stop him shrieking like a maniac, but the only thing that stopped him being completely furious was boob.

He slept through from two days after I stopped bf.

Which was kinda funny, as the only reason I was still bfing was to get him to shut up and go to sleep... Ironic, huh?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 05-Jan-13 09:07:35

Think he will just grow out of it too. If you want some help while you wait though have a google of askdrsears 31 ways to get your baby to sleep and askdrsears 12 alternatives. If you want to read a book try the No Cry Sleep Solution or sound sleep by Sarah Woodhouse.

Waking once, twice or not at all is very good at this age though. Research says that by 7.5 months bfing mums are getting more sleep than their ffing peers (although this obviously doesn't apply to everyone mad) and by 12 months half of all babies still wake at least once, no matter how you feed them or parent.

And yes he will be hungry. Have you tried offering him more feeds in the day?

Thank you all! In answer to your questions, he has started taking less milk in the day as he is upping his solids, so that may have something to so with it. I could offer him milk after solids ( I don't want to fill him up before).

And yes, I did wander if he was falling asleep before he had finished. Would you suggest just going with it, and feeding him as soon as he stirs, rather than our usual, which is DH trying to settle him, or would you try and gently stir him when he sleeps the first time ? I already do that a little by changing sides the first time he drops off, which wakes him. Clearly he still doesn't take enough!

Iggly Sat 05-Jan-13 09:45:21

With mine it was either painful wind or they wondered where I was.

So I wind after a feed even if they're asleep even though they're bf and I'd get a burp out after 10-20 mins. They usually be awake or drowsy. Then I'd put in cot and settle them there by patting/rubbing. DD is so used to it now she doesn't fall asleep when I feed her at bedtime unless shattered and is happy to lie in her cot while I stroke her back and drifts off (she's 13 months - been doing this since 6 months).

If for some reason I put her down asleep (eg I'm in a rush), then I can guarantee she will wake up screaming and will go mental!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 05-Jan-13 10:54:28

I'd feed him an hour before solids. This is recommended anyway until they are one, that way he will get more milk and hopefully be less hungry.

So...last night's feed I offered him more after he fell asleep twice; rather than the usual once. He didn't stir, slept through till 4.30am, had a quick feed & then slept through till 8.45am.

What an improvement! Now I know it could be a one off - but I'm so pleased. Thanks all!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 06-Jan-13 14:15:20

Thats good news HCsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now