Hearing test on 2.7 year old

(5 Posts)
welshhouse Fri 04-Jan-13 13:31:58

My dd had a hearing test today because of slightly delayed speech. What a disaster! She would not cooperate with them at all, she just wanted to do her own thing. Even when they were asking her to point to the duck she wouldn't do it and she knows what duck is. She wouldn't sit still at all. They did manage to look into one of her ears and said there is no fluid on it which is good but we have to go back in a couple of months to try again. I'm not too concerned about her hearing, I'm fairly confident her hearing is ok but it's something they have to rule out. Has anyone had a similar experience to this and how did it turn out?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 04-Jan-13 13:44:06

I'm surprised they couldn't get her to cooperate at all, sounds like they should have been more clued up on how to deal with it. Our dd had delayed speech and a hearing test. The hearing test was fine and her speech was sorted out in a few SLT sessions, hopefully your dd will be the same.

Beamae Fri 04-Jan-13 18:50:09

We've just had hearing tests for our 17 month old girls. One of them also had no interest in the game and wouldn't engage at all. They are having us back within a month to try again, but said if she didn't co-operate next time there were other ways to test her hearing so not to worry. They didn't get into what these other methods would entail though.

hazeyjane Fri 04-Jan-13 18:54:18

Ds had a hearing test just before he was 2. He wouldn't engage with any of the games, or look at the puppets they used, so we had to go back after a couple of months, they tried different toys, and he responded better. They also did a test for glue ear. He had no hearing difficulties.

DeWe Fri 04-Jan-13 19:00:24

My ds has had hearing tests from about 16 months due to constant ear infections/glue ear.

He didn't cooperate at all until he was over 3yo, and, from what they said, this is very normal. The first time he (sort of) cooperated as far as they could see, I could see that he wasn't actually doing the hearing part.

He had to put a passenger on the bus when he heard the sound, and the first couple of times, he stopped, looked at the tester, and she said "if you heard it, put it in the bus", after that he just waited for her to say that then put it in the bus. confused

The next time, (different person) I told them this had happened and he managed to do enough of the hearing test to show them roughly his hearing-he was just younger than 4yo then. In the last year (age 4.6-5.6) they now tell him he's a pilot and has to press the button to fly the plane when he hears the noise and he absolutely loves it, hence we get a great test. But, from what is said, it's not totally uncommon for even this age to not want to cooperate on the test.

Lets face it, the soundproofed room feels funny, plus the headphones are scary to a child who's not used to them.
You may be able to help there if you can get some big earphones and make wearing them a game, perhaps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now