Please help. 8 month old waking every hour at night

(12 Posts)
nattnatt Fri 04-Jan-13 09:55:02

My 8 month old just will not sleep at night. He may sleep 1 out of 10 night, lull us into a false sense of security then kick off again the next night.
I've always believed that you shouldn't wake a sleeping baby but hes managed to only want 2 daytime naps recently, one at 9.30 & the next around 1ish. He may only have an hour at each nap.
At night he goes down at 7 usually goes off pretty well until 10/11ish. On a good night he'll go back off till 2/3ish & wake hourly from then.
Its driving us insane. DS1 wakes at 7.30 & we all get up then. I'm exhausted & to make matters worse we found out yesterday I'm expecting again! I was tired enough pregnant with DS2 even though DS1 is an amazing sleeper. This was unexpected but good news. However I feel I may never slerp again.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

wibblewibble Fri 04-Jan-13 10:05:00

Sorry no advice but thought it might help to let you know we're having the similar waking patterns with dd1 - 5 months for the last week or so.

X

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 04-Jan-13 10:53:20

Congratulations on your pg smile. Have a google of askdrsears 31 ways to get your baby to sleep and have you read Sound Sleep by Sarah Weodhouse?

Don't forget too that waking at night is perfectly normal. By 12 months half of all babies still wake, no matter how you feed them or parent.

While you are waiting for the sleep to sort out can you arrange a lie in at the weekend and go to bed earlier for a few nights?

nattnatt Fri 04-Jan-13 15:05:11

Wibble, I hope you get some sleep soon sad
Thanks Julie I shall take a look. I realise I was particularly lucky (and still am) with DS1 he just loves his bed. I also don't mind waking once or twice for a gentle reassurance, but every hour is beyond funny. I have tried the early nights but then he wakes at 10 so that puts pay to that. I get a lie in occasionally but DS1 is so used to mummy time in the morning, he just loves to come & drag me out of bed haha.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 04-Jan-13 16:04:39

Could you get DH to have ds1 at least one morning a week? Have you thought of asking for this thread to be moved to the sleep section too? You may get ax few more repliessmile

lorisparkle Fri 04-Jan-13 19:11:16

sounds exhausting - ds1 was like that but luckily the younger 2 were better sleepers. best book I read was teach your child to sleep by the millpond clinic. on a good note i having three is far easier than 2 so good luck grin

Iggly Fri 04-Jan-13 20:27:10

It sounds like he's over tired (longer stretch at start of night with hourly thereafter).

I'd be pulling his bedtime much earlier. Aim for him to be asleep by 6.30pm, especially with the shorter naps. i don't understand what you mean by waking at 10 when you do an early night? Do you feed him at 10? You need a week of early bedtimes to make a difference.
Also day naps - can you make them say 30 mins earlier?

Also what's his diet like? Is he a windy baby?

justhayley Sat 05-Jan-13 01:19:34

Hiya my DS is 8 1/2 months and we are having the same problem. I can't imagine being this exhausted and being pregnant! Congrats on your pregnancy. I don't have any advice I'm afraid. Has he always been like his or is it a new thing? Maybe separation anxiety?

nattnatt Sat 05-Jan-13 11:41:42

Firstly Sparkle, thank you, that is the best news I have heard!!
Iggly, I meant if I get an early night DS2 decideds to wake at 10 making my early night pretty pointless. We have, started putting him to bed earlier 6.30ish as the afternoon nap is just too early and he gets so tired I just can't hold it off for half hour or so. I have tried making them earlier but he just flat out refuses a third nap.
DH gave me a lie in this morning which was fab. I just wish I could have that every day ;-)
Hayley, thank you. I hope our boys sort their things out soon!

nattnatt Sat 05-Jan-13 11:45:24

Sorry Iggly I should have said, he's a great eater, almost too good. I do baby led weaning on the HV advise as he was screaming for more and more pureed food then making himself sick. This seems to have done the trick there. He isn't windy anymore, infact he seems tto be fast going off his milk (as did DS1). No night feeds.

Iggly Sat 05-Jan-13 11:47:03

Could he be having a growth spurt and be hungry?

nattnatt Sat 05-Jan-13 13:19:00

This has been a constant since birth so I will guess at no.
The BBW seems to have calmed down the eat everything in sight & at all times urges. Ive been blaming teething for as long as I can remember but still no signs of them either. Im going to give the early nights (for baby) a go for a while, see if that helps any. Thanks for all your help x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now