Advice please!!!! 18 month old eating!!

(5 Posts)
Jakeyblueblue Thu 03-Jan-13 13:41:58

Thanks, that's reassuring, he does have all his nutrients and eats good food, it's just all sloppy grin

diyqueen Thu 03-Jan-13 13:22:36

He's very young still and doesn't have all of his chewing teeth yet - I'd keep offering chewy food as well as giving him soft stuff and hopefully he'll start liking it eventually. If it's any reassurance, dd (21mo) is going through an annoying phase of spitting out and handing back anything that needs chewing at the moment - raisins, anything with skin, any kind if meat except pureed, things with 'bits' in, even biscuits that are a bit tough. I think fussy phases are pretty normal, as long as he's getting a reasonable balance of nutrients I wouldn't worry.

Jakeyblueblue Wed 02-Jan-13 20:58:39

Anyone?

Jakeyblueblue Wed 02-Jan-13 20:01:03

Sorry about the typo at the end! Should have deleted it! grin

Jakeyblueblue Wed 02-Jan-13 19:58:53

Hi!
I will openly admit that I am a bit of a worry wart but I just wanted to run my concerns about my 18 month ds eating habits past some of you more experienced mums!
He's not a fussy eater, in the respect that he only likes good home cooked food! He will eat all types of meat in casserole, soups, cottage pie, fish pie. He's never happier with meat, pots and veg or fish pots and veg so I have no concerns about his actual diet. It's more a texture issue that I'm concerned about. It's difficult to explain but it's not even so much lumps he doesn't like, it's dry food! He wouldn't eat a piece of pizza or fish fingers, chips and peas, everything has to be covered in gravy or some kind of sauce. He would eat fish fingers, chips and peas but I have to smother it in parsley sauce and chop it up. He won't even attempt it if I don't and if I try to sneak it in without him knowing he gags.
I've got texture issues, have had them all my life. Can't stand bits in anything. Yoghurt or orange juice with bits is a no no so he may just be like me I guess but it appears like he doesn't want to chew meals and if its covered in sauce he can swallow it whole!
The thing that confuses me is that I know he can chew if he wants as he will chew crisps, crackers, Cheerios, huge chunks of strawberry, apple, biscuits and sometimes bread if he's in the mood. But things like chunks of cheese, sandwiches, cake, other fruits he won't entertain at all.
Am I worrying about nothing? My mum who is an experienced mum and nanny says he's just a typical lazy boy that would rather not be bothered with anything he has to chew, unless he really likes it, thus he will eat crisps etc! She says I should be grateful he only wants to eat casserole and meat / fish veg and be glad he doesn't like pizza etc. I guess she's right but I look at his little friends and they are able to eat all sorts. I would hate to write him off as lazy and actually he's got a feeding issue that could be rectified..
I have no other concerns about him, he's saying well over 50 words so I don't think there's a problem with his mouth, tongue etc.
any advice would be much appreciated!
Oh and he will chew pasta as long as its in a nice sloppy sauce and will also eat toast!!

He can chew if he wants

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now