Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

What should I call the vagina?

(113 Posts)
Mrsapea Sun 30-Dec-12 10:55:00

Dear all

I have a 3 year old boy and a 3 week old little girl. My little boy is very helpful and likes to pass me the nappies when changing. As is normal with kids he talks about his little sister and her body; during a nappy change he asked me why she didn't have a willy and what she did have. I told him it was called a "front bottom" but that adults call it a "vagina". Both these explanation sound either silly or too anatomical.

What would you guys recommend I call it?
Many thanks
Mrsapea

TheElfOnThePanopticon Sun 30-Dec-12 16:43:28

We use vulva, and DD (6) also knows the names for her vagina and clitoris.

Viviennemary Sun 30-Dec-12 16:46:10

I can't see why people would teach their children to say vagina when it isn't even the correct term. What is the point.

Vagina here. Or foof.

The only name I dislike is front bottom. Other than that, call it whatever!

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sun 30-Dec-12 16:51:08

while vulva is slightly more correct, vagina is the one that rolls off the tongue when you're caught off guard, and kids always ask about these things at very random times, so vagina it is

but I don't think that vagina is inaccurate either, isn't the opening of the urethra more sort of inside the vagina not out on the vulva, and when I get questions about it it's "how do girls wee if they don't have a willy?" so vagina seems more of a better all rounder, IMO if you're gonna say vulva you might as well say labia??? the outside visible bits don't do that much?

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sun 30-Dec-12 16:51:34

"bits" is the only one I strongly object to, girls having "bits" is just horrible!

NaiceDude Sun 30-Dec-12 16:53:24

why call a Vulcan a vagina?

grin

countrykitten Sun 30-Dec-12 16:53:45

I think that some women genuinely don't know the difference between their vagina and their vulva and so perpetuate this by telling their poor daughters that it's all the vagina. They're just a bit dim I guess.

Loving both vulcan and volvo though....

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sun 30-Dec-12 16:56:57

but the vagnina is the more... well.. functional part so there's more to say about it!

A child's vagina isn't functional though is it? Yours may be the important bit down there but for a kid it's just what they can see, ie the external part - the vulva

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Sun 30-Dec-12 17:19:48

its the part that you discuss when talking about the functions to children though even though they don't use it for that

MrsSham Sun 30-Dec-12 17:35:56

Well not sure about your girls but my dd tends to have a very thorough examination of the lot, internal and external, so I tend to think its wrong to inference that children are only concerned by what is on the Outside. A little like my nephew at 2 wanting to know what was contained within his nuts and what there functions where.

Loving Vulcan. Might start trialling that chez Starfish to try and get DD out of her current terminology 'pink wally'. As in, her baby brother has a 'wally and tentacles' and she has a 'pink wally' hmm. All her own invention...

DancesWithSnowmenAndElves Sun 30-Dec-12 17:55:44

I used to use fanny, but got some very strange looks from some mummies in real life. now we just call it one's lady bits in my house (I have 3 DDs)

CatchingMockingbirds Sun 30-Dec-12 17:58:47

shock I can see why you got looks Dance, you may as well have went all out and called it a cunt grin

ThreeBoostsOneGalaxy Sun 30-Dec-12 18:00:23

The confusion on here (no, the opening to your urethra is not inside your vagina) shows exactly why it's important to use the correct term for the correct part. I am horrified that some grown women don't know the correct terms for their own genitalia.

One man I met at university thought that the clitoris was situated inside the vagina. Very glad I never became intimate with him!

If you go to the doctor about a vulval problem but tell them it's vaginal problem, don't be shocked when they get the speculum out.

Perhaps I should start referring to my mouth as my oesophagus??

NothingIsAsBadAsItSeems Sun 30-Dec-12 18:01:30

my mum used to call it a minnie!

Yep, same when I was little - A minnie version of what mummy has otherwise known as a vagina.

Nevercan Sun 30-Dec-12 19:21:19

Called a wee wee here!

BardOfBarking Sun 30-Dec-12 19:40:46

Vulva here - didn't see the point of anything else.

Mrsapea Sun 30-Dec-12 19:46:48

Thanks all! Food for thought.

BikeRunSki Sun 30-Dec-12 19:48:09

Wilma (female for Willy )

StarOfLightMcKings3 Sun 30-Dec-12 19:56:36

Vulva.

Dd told Peppa Pig that she had a vulva. Also people on the bus. I think they 'hear' Volvo.

StarOfLightMcKings3 Sun 30-Dec-12 20:07:59

What does cunt refer to? Vagina or vulva or the lot (or something else).

I saw a clip with Saint IMG and she called it a cunt.

Willy and fanny here, tho dd (2) often insists she has a Willy. catching do you really see fanny as equivalent to cunt? if so, where on the sweary words for boy bits scale do you place Willy?

MrsSham Sun 30-Dec-12 20:16:20

I would say cunt refers to vagina. I would perceive fanny as sweary no where near cunt though maybe on a par with prick or knob.

MrsSham Sun 30-Dec-12 20:16:51

Or cock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now