Straw Poll: Oldest Your Baby Still Needed Night Feeds

(23 Posts)
Some0ne Wed 12-Dec-12 15:36:36

DD stopped at about 20 months because we stopped feeding her. She was taking maybe 40oz of milk each night, was leaking through two nappies each night, and waking up very early because her jammies were soaked. We had a couple of rough nights but it was worth it for all of us, she slept far better after we stopped. We did wait till she was old enough to understand what was going on (more or less) though.

DS is 10 months and still having the 4am feed (I've always found that one the hardest!), even if we give him a dreamfeed. I've more or less resigned myself to going to 20 months again.

Oddly enough, both of mine gave up night feeds quite young (4 months maybe?), but started again around the 9 month mark, after lulling us into a false sense of security. The little monsters hmm

DoubleYew Wed 12-Dec-12 15:26:06

2.5 yo still going strong. Has slept through once in his life, quite possibly I just forgot that I woke up that night tbh as it was never repeated. But he is getting his molars right now and really suffering with it so I'm glad I've kept going. He "needs" some kind of comfort right now.

Do I win a prize? smile

Belmo Wed 12-Dec-12 14:11:45

Still going strong at 15 months. Really hoping she magically decides to sleep through one of these days!

haloflo Wed 12-Dec-12 13:36:02

DD had night feeds (bm) until 15 mo although I continued to feed her for another 6 weeks at about 5am until she started sleeping later. She fed 2/3 times per night. I let her stay at my in laws one night after early pg tiredness was getting too much. There my mil rocked her back to sleep although was prepared to get up for food if she was hungry (she never took a bottle). Aparently she cried in my mils arms for about 10 mins each time she woke (again 2-3 times) DD asked for milk the next couple of nights but didnt stay on long so I stopped offering. She still wakes now at 20 mo but is happy to just lie next to me. Sometimes she sleeps through too!

rrreow Tue 11-Dec-12 22:18:52

My 19m DS still has a night feed. Trying to wean him off it (slowly reducing quantity in the night, and upping milk in the day slightly), but it's the 'easy option' seeing as without it I'd be up for hours trying to re-settle him when he wakes in the middle of the night.

9 months for DS and 11 months for DD. They both just stopped waking up in the night of their own accord. I realise now, having read this thread, how grateful I should be!!!

Wallace Tue 11-Dec-12 21:54:47

Fingers crossed - ds was 2 a few weeks ago. A few months ago we started putting him awake in his own cot so now he sleeps for a few hours then comes in with us.

Here's hoping he will just grow out of it soon

ceeveebee Tue 11-Dec-12 21:52:57

What do you mean by 'night'? After 7pm or after our normal bedtime of 11pm ish?
Anyway my twins stopped needing feeds between 11pm and 7am at 12 weeks, and dropped the 11pm dreamfeed at 5 months. They were ff at bedtime, ebm at night, bf in the day

BertieBotts Tue 11-Dec-12 21:48:01

It was possibly related to moving him into his own bed, as we co-slept up until about 2.2, but he had slept through with no feeds a couple of times before moving him out so I took it as a sign he was ready. That and he kept stealing my covers grin

TeaBrick Tue 11-Dec-12 21:45:24

Mine also grew out of it naturally, Wallace

MrsJohnDeere Tue 11-Dec-12 21:44:40

16 weeks with both. Ff not bf if that makes a difference.

TeaBrick Tue 11-Dec-12 21:44:26

He was around 2. I was lucky that I was working evenings so could sleep during the day, or I would have had to make him stop before then!

Wallace Tue 11-Dec-12 21:43:29

BertieBotts - Really? Really! There is some hope then grin

timothyclaypole Tue 11-Dec-12 21:41:15

14m and still going sad. I suspect if we decide to get tough he'll stop but we're haven't worked ourselves up to that yet!

ZhenThereWereTwo Tue 11-Dec-12 21:40:02

I stopped dd1 at 20 months, she didn't need it then, but as I was the working parent I felt she used it to bond so didn't stop until I was on my knees with tiredness. Dd2 is 9 months and waking and feeding every 2-3 hours (teething).

2aminthemorning Tue 11-Dec-12 21:38:40

Four months. My baby was woken every four hours all through the day. Was probably relieved to get a bit of peace really.

BertieBotts Tue 11-Dec-12 21:35:35

DS stopped feeding in the night when he was around 2.4. He just stopped.

notcitrus Tue 11-Dec-12 21:34:42

Ds - until around 14mo when we gave up bf (on and off for the last 6 weeks, his choice), but a couple months later started waking in the night hysterical and needing milk - a cupful sent him back to sleep. He grew out of it around 20mo. It was bearable as while he woke for milk, within 10 min we'd both be asleep in our beds again.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Tue 11-Dec-12 21:31:52

5.5 months, which was late among his 'peers' - most were sleeping through quite a while before!

I always let DS take the lead with night feeds (never did a dream feed)...he dropped the midnight (ish) one first, but kept waking for one between 2 and 5am. When this feed started getting consistently later (so 5-5.30am) and started putting him off his 'breakfast' feed at 7-ish then I cut it out.

Wallace Tue 11-Dec-12 20:56:12

I still feed my 2 year old in the night. I wouldn't exactly say he needs it though. I wish he would naturally grow out of it but I have a feeling I am going to have to actively do something...

cantmakecarrotcake Tue 11-Dec-12 19:55:41

I fed DD most/some nights up to 12 months. I then stopped BF and refused to give her a bottle. oddly she didn't seem to want/need it so I expect boob was more of a comfort thing than food.

She still wakes in the night some nights at nearly 2 but mostly it's to be covered up or to find her cuddly toy.

Xmarksthespot Tue 11-Dec-12 19:52:08

i'm at 9 months and still waiting for him to stop..when will it stop????

ThePippy Tue 11-Dec-12 16:14:45

That's it really, just curious to know what the oldest age a baby seemed to need night feeds, and also if it was considered late (12mth +) did you need to actively wean them off this or did it still stop naturally at some point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now