6 year old girl confidence / self esteme

(3 Posts)
DonkeysInTheStableAtMidnight Tue 11-Dec-12 09:56:56

The perils of answering on a phone, I lost track of her being 6 not 4, so sorry blush . Well, it still sounds like you are doing the right thing building up her confidence by giving her things to do. Can I just add, although it seems a different aspect altogether, I found with my 2 if they achieved something physical eg swimming, climbing, trampolining club, it really brought them on confidence-wise in leaps and bounds.

DonkeysInTheStableAtMidnight Tue 11-Dec-12 09:46:07

Hi there, bumping this up for you.

Sounds like you are off to a good start, simple basic things she can practise. If she is physically capable there's no reason she shouldn't try and have a go.

Was she quick and willing to dress herself? Has she 'helped Mum' or a familiar adult with little jobs like pegging out washing, dusting, unpacking groceries? Does she tend to hang back and let others do things for her? Just wondering if because she is the 'baby' of the family everyone else was inclined to step in and do things for her, faster, better.

Has this emerged since starting school? Is she one of the younger ones in her year?

I am sure you praise her for completing tasks. I would think it's a mix of repetition and encouragement. Confidence and self esteem come in stages. Sometimes looking after a younger child or pet - with your help! - can show her she's capable of more than she thinks.

I'm sure someone else will have good ideas you can try.

aloo Mon 10-Dec-12 16:26:27

My happy daughter is not so happy about learning things and
straight away says she can't do something before even trying it.
I have two much older kids and neither of them every acted this
way. What are the simple fun things I can do to promote motivation,
self esteem and confidence, I've stared with simple things like learning
to cook simple things and fun skills like make a paper plane but it's all a massive uphill struggle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now